Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

Africa

Four charged over Kenya mall attack

© Photo: AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-11-04

A Kenyan court charged four Somali men with terrorism offences Monday over their role in helping al Shabaab Islamic militants carry out the September attack on the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, in which 67 people were killed.

A Kenyan court charged four Somali men on Monday with terrorist offences for helping al Qaeda-linked militants carry out an attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi that killed 67 people.

Few details have emerged so far about the how the September attack was masterminded or how gunmen held off Kenyan security forces for four days in the Westgate mall. The assault was claimed by the Somali Islamist group al Shabaab.

U.S., British, Israeli and other experts joined Kenyan investigators at the site of the attack, which struck at the heart of east Africa’s biggest economy. The West sees Kenya as vital to the regional fight against militant Islam.

All the men who appeared in court on Monday were formally charged with “commission of a terrorist act” under Kenya’s anti-terrorism laws. Other accusations ranged from providing support and shelter to the gunmen to using false documents.

The suspects all pleaded not guilty at the hearing.

The men were named as Mohamed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah Omar and Hussein Hassan, while a fourth was identified as Adan Mohamed Ibrahim, although he was listed as using other aliases.

Last month, Kenya named four gunmen who took part in the assault. Al Shabaab said it acted because of Kenya’s refusal to withdraw its troops from Somalia where they are part of a African peacekeeping force battling the militants.

The court is expected to set a formal date for the start of trial on Nov. 11. The men were remanded in custody until then.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-11-04

  • KENYA

    Police detain five over Kenya's Westgate mall massacre

    Read more

  • KENYA

    Kenya names four suspects in Westgate mall attack

    Read more

  • KENYA

    Kenyan government ‘warned of Nairobi attack’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)