Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Edith Piaf tribute's encore run, and jazz festival season in full swing

Read more

REPORTERS

Abu Azrael: ‘Iraq’s Rambo’

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Breaking up with the EU: Brexit or Fixit?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Baccarat, the crystal of princes and presidents

Read more

FOCUS

The plight of civilians in Darfur's forgotten conflict

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Sepp Blatter: Love him or loathe him

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Platini bites back, but Blatter holds on'

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mexico: New bloodbath linked to drug trafficking

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch goes on sale for $100 million

Read more

Africa

DR Congo announces 'total victory' over M23 rebels

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-11-05

M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo said Tuesday they would end their insurgency, hours after the country's communications minister declared "total victory" over the rebellion following a final government offensive on their strongholds.

The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo announced Tuesday that it had achieved "total victory" over M23 rebels, but the army declined to give immediate confirmation.

"The last elements of the M23 have abandoned their positions in Runyonyi and Chanzu under pressure from FARDC (government forces) who have just entered there," said the country's communications minister and government spokesman in a text message received by AFP in Kiwanja, a town near the fighting.

He was referring to two hilltop positions about 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of regional capital Goma, where dozens of rebels had dug in.

Contacted by AFP, General Lucien Bahuma, army commander in Nord Kivu province, was more cautious, saying: "I cannot confirm that for the moment."

Another Congolese army officer said he heard that "the M23 had scarpered".

"They burned 42 vehicles and their munitions depots, they took off in all directions, each for himself and God for all," he said, adding that "the fighting had lasted all night".

On Monday the UN special force in eastern DR Congo joined in direct combat with the besieged M23 rebels, throwing its weight behind the Congolese army's crushing assault launched late last month in a bid to finally end the rebellion.

(AFP)

A conflict fuelled by natural wealth

 

Date created : 2013-11-05

  • DR CONGO

    DR Congo rejects M23 rebels ceasefire offer

    Read more

  • DR CONGO

    DR Congo's army 'attacks' last areas held by M23 rebels

    Read more

  • DR CONGO

    DR Congo rebels chased from strongholds, UN says

    Read more

COMMENT(S)