Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

WWI Centenary: the battle for Verdun

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

When big companies want to do good

Read more

  • Nibali joins elite group with Tour de France win

    Read more

  • Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack

    Read more

  • France calls on its nationals to leave Libya as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Netanyahu says Hamas 'violating its own ceasefire'

    Read more

  • Muslims prepare for Eid al-Fitr festival

    Read more

  • ‘Irresponsible’ American dad tries to scale Mont Blanc with children

    Read more

  • Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

  • In pictures: Crowds flock to enjoy the Tour de France show

    Read more

  • Video: At the scene of the Air Algérie crash in Mali

    Read more

  • Costa Concordia arrives in port of Genoa to be scrapped

    Read more

  • In pictures: Youths clash with police at banned Gaza protest

    Read more

  • Russia lashes out at new EU sanctions over Ukraine

    Read more

  • Bodies of all Air Algérie crash victims to be brought to France

    Read more

  • Syrian army and ISIS both claim advances

    Read more

  • Briton kidnapped in Yemen freed after five months

    Read more

  • Nibali rides serenely toward a place in Tour history

    Read more

  • Germany's Tony Martin wins 20th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • New round of Gaza ceasefire talks takes place in Paris

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Rescue efforts hampered by devastation in Philippines

© AFP

Video by Luke SHRAGO

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-11-11

Rescue workers struggled on Monday to reach areas of the Philippines devastated by Typhoon Haiyan, which killed an estimated 10,000 people in the city of Tacloban alone.

Relief efforts were slowed by extensive damage in the Philippines on Monday as a picture of the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan, thought to be the most powerful storm ever to hit the country, gradually became clearer.

The United Nations has confirmed that an estimated 10,000 people were killed in the coastal city of Tacloban, one of the areas hardest hit, adding that it feared the death toll could rise with thousands others still reported missing. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands have been displaced, their homes reduced to little more than debris by winds as strong as 378 kph (235 mph).

As relief efforts got underway on Monday, three days after the storm, it became apparent that the scale of damage was far greater than expected. Entire towns had been levelled in the central Philippines, and survivors in Tacloban told of being swept away by a wall of water about five metres high (16 feet).

‘We’re still just beginning to understand how widespread the damage is’

“The situation is bad, the devastation has been significant. In some cases the devastation has been total,” Secretary to the Cabinet Rene Almendras told a news conference.

Slowed by the extensive destruction, rescue workers have struggled to reach affected areas with roads, communications, water and power supplies cut off.

“Relief efforts are being hampered. We were at the army headquarters, the air force space, here in Cebu City earlier and we were speaking to the officers in charge there, and there really was a sense of being overwhelmed by the task ahead of them,” FRANCE 24’s correspondent Ismail Wolff reported from the Philippines’ central Cebu City.

“Of course the United States, the European Commission and others have offered aid, but that aid has still yet to get here. And the issue really that we’re really looking at here is that although the aid in terms of supplies and even manpower has come, at the moment reaching many of these areas is impossible and we’re going to get a clearer picture over the next 24 hours of how widespread the damage is,” Wolff said.

National state of calamity

Philippines President Benigno Aquino declared a national state of calamity, which allows the government to set price controls and quickly release emergency funds.

Aquino also sent 800 troops to Tacloban, where looting had broken out. Many typhoon survivors have been forced to scavenge for clean water, food, shelter and medicine, as they remain cut off from aid.

Speaking in a nationwide broadcast, Aquino said that the government had decided to focus relief on the country’s Samar and Leyte provinces, which were directly hit by the storm. Aquino also said his administration had set aside 18.7 billion pesos ($432.97 million) for rehabilitation.

Twenty-one countries have promised to send aid, including Indonesia, the United States, Britain, Japan, Singapore, New Zealand and Hungary, Aquino said.

Many international organisations and aid groups, such as the United Nations, the Red Cross and the International Rescue Committee, have also mounted major relief efforts.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-11-11

  • VIETNAM

    Haiyan hits Vietnam as Philippines death toll mounts

    Read more

  • PHILIPPINES

    In pictures: Typhoon Haiyan devastates Philippines

    Read more

  • PHILIPPINES

    At least 10,000 feared dead after Philippines typhoon

    Read more

COMMENT(S)