Abdelhakim Dekhar, the suspect charged with a string of shootings in Paris last week, has gone on hunger strike and is in a weakened condition, his lawyer said on Monday.
Abdelhakim Dekhar, the lone suspect in a string of shootings in the French capital last week, has gone on a prison hunger strike and is in a weakened condition, his lawyer said on Monday.
Dekhar, 48, was charged with attempted murder, kidnapping and sequestration on Friday. He is alleged to have shot a photographer’s assistant at the Paris offices of left-wing newspaper Libération on November 18, before firing shots outside a bank headquarters and hijacking a car in central Paris. Police has said that Dekhar’s DNA matches with samples found in the hijacked car.
Police also allege that Dekhar stormed the offices of TV channel BFM on November 15, threatening staff with a weapon before rushing out.
Dekhar was arrested last Wednesday after a massive three-day manhunt. He was found semi-conscious after an apparent suicide attempt in a vehicle in an underground parking lot in the northwestern Paris suburb of Bois-Colombes.
Investigators say that undated letters believed to belong to the accused attempted to explain his actions but were incoherent.
Paris prosecutor Frédéric Molins said the letters denounced capitalism and spoke of “a plot aimed at the return of fascism in the media, in banks, in the policy on suburbs”.
This is not the first time Dekhar has been involved in a high-profile crime. In the 1990s, he was convicted for buying a gun used in an infamous Bonnie-and-Clyde type shooting spree that left five dead, including one of the shooters.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP, AP)
Date created : 2013-11-25