The UN on Thursday said it had lost contact with its mission in South Sudan and that at least three peacekeepers had gone missing after a group of youths stormed the premises in the state of Jonglei.
"We are no longer in contact with the Akobo base," UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said, adding that one civilian worker was also unaccounted for.
The base was attacked on Thursday by ethnic Nuer youth, amid widening battles between followers of South Sudan's president and former vice president.
The fate of more than 30 ethnic Dinka civilians who had taken refuge at the Akobo base was also not known, Haq added.
Earlier in the evening, Huq had said the attackers appeared to pursue civilians seeking refuge from the wider unrest and that “we fear there may have been some fatalities but can’t confirm who and how many.”
Haq said there were also unconfirmed reports of several students killed by security forces at Juba University in the capital on Wednesday.
Several hundred students have stayed on the university campus and asked for UN protection, the spokesman said.
Between 2,000 and 5,000 civilians have gathered in another part of Juba, called the Kator complex, and had also requested help from UN Mission in South Sudan peacekeepers, Haq said.
Several hundred people have been reported killed in clashes this week between factions of the army, who are split between Salva Kiir and Riek Machar.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Date created : 2013-12-19