Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US to send 3,000 troops to West Africa

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria attack: Bomb blast in college in Kano

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: Lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: did he ever leave?

Read more

DEBATE

The World This Week

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Travel chaos: Air France pilots take industrial action

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola: UN Security Council unanimously passes resolution

Read more

ENCORE!

Author Kiran Desai on early success and the Booker Prize

Read more

Europe

UN slams Vatican over handling of child sex abuse

© AFP

Video by Richelle HARRISON PLESSE

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-01-18

The Vatican came under harsh criticism from a United Nations committee in Geneva on Thursday over its handling of the sexual abuse of children by clergy members, in what was its first public grilling over the issue.

Monsignor Charles Scicluna, the Vatican’s former sex crimes prosecutor, acknowledged that the Holy See had been slow to react, but said that it was now committed to doing so. He encouraged prosecutors to take action against anyone who obstructs justice – implying that bishops who move offending priests from diocese to diocese should be held accountable.

“The Holy See gets it,” Scicluna told the committee. “Let’s not say too late or not. But there are certain things that need to be done differently.”

He was responding to a grilling by the UN committee over the Holy See’s failure to abide by the terms of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which calls for signatories to take all appropriate measures to keep children from harm. Critics allege the church enabled the rape of thousands of children by protecting paedophile priests to defend its reputation.

The committee’s main human rights investigator, Sara Oviedo, was particularly tough, pressing the Vatican on the frequent ways abusive priests were transferred rather than turned in to police. Given the church’s “zero tolerance” policy, she asked, why were there “efforts to cover up and obscure these types of cases”?

Another committee member, Maria Rita Parsi, an Italian psychologist and psychotherapist, pressed further.

“If these events continue to be hidden and covered up, to what extent will children be affected?” she asked.

The Holy See ratified the convention on children's rights in 1990 and submitted a first implementation report in 1994. But it didn’t provide progress reports for nearly two decades. It only submitted one in 2012 after coming under criticism following the 2010 explosion of child-sex abuse cases in Europe and beyond.

Protecting priests

Victims groups and human rights organisations teamed up to press the UN committee to challenge the Holy See on its abuse record, providing written testimony from victims and evidence outlining the global scale of the problem.

Their reports cite case studies in Mexico and Britain, grand jury investigations in the US, and government fact-finding inquiries from Canada to Ireland to Australia that detail how the Vatican’s policies, its culture of secrecy and fear of scandal contributed to the problem.

The Holy See has long insisted that it wasn’t responsible for the crimes of priests committed around the world, saying priests aren’t employees of the Vatican but are rather citizens of countries where they reside and subject to local law enforcement. It has maintained that bishops were responsible for the priests in their care, not the pope.

But victims groups and human rights organisations provided the UN committee with the Vatican’s own documentation showing how it discouraged bishops from reporting abusers to police.

Committee member Jorge Cardona Llorens, a Spanish international law professor, demanded to know how the Vatican would create “specific criteria” for putting children’s interests first, because there weren’t any yet in place.

Scicluna, who now serves as a bishop in Malta, said the Holy See wanted to be a model for how to protect children and care for victims.

“I think the international community looks up to the Holy See for such guidance. But it’s not only words, it has to be commitment on the ground,” he said.

“States who are cognisant of obstruction of justice need to take action against citizens of their countries who obstruct justice,” he added. Scicluna has said in the past that bishops who failed to do the right thing with paedophile priests must be held accountable.

'Stop this secrecy'

Former pope Benedict XVI, who served as pontiff from 2005 to 2013, was the first pope to apologise publicly to victims and call for zero tolerance on abuse.

In his last two years as pope, Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests for raping and molesting children, more than twice as many as in the two years that preceded a 2010 explosion of publicity surrounding sex abuse cases, according to a document obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Victims groups and human rights organisations were closely monitoring Friday's hearing.

“I think it’s time for the church to stop this secrecy,” Teodoro Pulvirenti, who said he was abused by a priest, told The Associated Press in New York. “I believe the church puts too much its reputation before the victims and you know the pain of this abuse that we carry. That’s why I was so excited when I heard about this final meeting between the Vatican representatives and the UN.”

The Vatican says it receives around 600 claims against abusive priests every year, many dating back to the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

(FRANCE 24 with AP and AFP)

 

Date created : 2014-01-16

  • VATICAN

    Pope creates Vatican agency to tackle sex abuse

    Read more

  • VATICAN

    Vatican says child sex abuse must be reported

    Read more

  • RELIGION

    Vatican to issue guidelines on sex abuse to bishops

    Read more

COMMENT(S)