Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Frenchman kidnapped in Algeria: 'IS'-linked jihadists claim abduction of 55 year-old tourist

Read more

DEBATE

What's the deal with Turkey? (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The Sarkozy soap opera

Read more

DEBATE

What's the deal with Turkey?

Read more

LIFESTYLES

New road trip

Read more

LIFESTYLES

High-tech in France

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Global warming: A drowning planet

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Christian Kastrop, Director of Policy Studies, OECD

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy's political comeback: Did he ever leave?

Read more

Middle east

Syria peace talks in doubt over Iran invitation

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-01-20

Upcoming peace talks on Syria were thrown into doubt on Monday following a surprise UN invitation to Iran to attend the conference. The US demanded the invite be withdrawn and Syrian opposition leaders threatened to boycott the negotiations.

UN secretary Ban Ki-moon had announced on Sunday that Iran had been invited to the “Geneva 2” peace talks, which are due to start on Wednesday in the Swiss town of Montreux.

The West and the Syrian opposition have long said Iran must be barred from the talks unless it first accepts an accord reached in Geneva in 2012 calling for a transitional government for Syria, which they see as a step towards unseating President Bashar al-Assad.

Ban said he had issued the invitation after Iran’s foreign minister assured him Tehran accepted the earlier accord. But Iran said it had done no such thing and had accepted Ban’s invitation “without pre-conditions” - the phrase it has long used to spurn the earlier accord.

This prompted the US to demand the invitation be withdrawn unless Iran yields.

“If Iran does not fully and publicly accept the Geneva communique, the invitation must be rescinded,” US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.

Syrian opposition issues deadline

Meanwhile, the main Syrian opposition group, the Syrian National Coalition, threatened to boycott the talks if the UN had not rescinded the invitation by Monday evening.

“We are giving a deadline of 1900 GMT for the invitation to be withdrawn,” Anas Abdah, member of the National Coalition’s political committee, told Reuters.

Iran is Assad’s main foreign backer and its presence has been one of the most contentious issues looming over the talks, the first to be attended by both Assad’s government and opponents.

A Western diplomat told Reuters that the decision to invite Iran had now cast doubt on whether the talks would go ahead at all.

“Is Geneva going to happen? That is the question we can’t answer at the moment,” the diplomat said.

Ban said “intensive and urgent” discussions were underway in an effort to find a solution. “For the moment let me just appeal again for all involved to keep the needs of the Syrian people foremost in mind," he said.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, AP and REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-01-20

  • SYRIA

    Main Syrian opposition agrees to 'Geneva 2' peace talks

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Growing fears for French teens en route to fight jihad in Syria

    Read more

  • SYRIA - UK - FRANCE

    French firm to help UK destroy Syrian chemical weapons

    Read more

COMMENT(S)