Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Ukraine's Warmongers: Far-right blamed for Kiev grenade attack (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Ukraine's Warmongers: Far-right blamed for Kiev grenade attack (part 1)

Read more

FOCUS

A Syrian family's desperate journey westward

Read more

ENCORE!

Stereophonics remember their roots on 'Keep the Village Alive'

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

India’s pharmaceutical industry under scrutiny

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Rock en Seine, Maïa Vidal and a-ha

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Chinese journalist apologises 'for contributing to market turmoil'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Boko Haram blamed for massacre in northeastern Nigeria

Read more

THE DEBATE

Europe's migrant crisis: Share the burden or shut the borders? (part 1)

Read more

USA

Prosecutors to seek death penalty for Boston bombing suspect

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-01-04

US prosecutors on Thursday said they will seek the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev if he is found guilty of planting the two bombs that killed three and injured more than 260 during last year’s Boston Marathon.

US Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that he was authorising trial prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, who is charged with committing one of the largest attacks on American soil since the September 11, 2001, attacks.

“The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision,” Holder said.

Holder faced a Friday deadline for deciding whether to seek the death penalty as part of Tsarnaev’s upcoming trial.

Prosecutors allege that Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, ethnic Chechens from Russia who had lived in the Boston area for about a decade, planted two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line on April 15, 2013.

Three nights later, the pair killed a university police officer and later engaged in a shootout with police that left Tamerlan dead, prosecutors say.

Seventeen of 30 charges against Tsarnaev carry the possibility of the death penalty.

The 20-year-old Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty. No trial date has been set.

(FRANCE 24 with AP, REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-01-30

  • USA

    Boston suspect Tsarnaev was shot 'in the face'

    Read more

  • USA

    Two students indicted in Boston bombings probe

    Read more

  • USA

    Photos show 'real Boston bomber', says police Sgt.

    Read more

COMMENT(S)