A group of soldiers in the turbulent Central African Republic capital of Bangui lynched a suspected rebel on Wednesday, minutes after hearing CAR's new president promise to restore peace at a ceremony reinstating the divided country’s army.
A Reuters witness saw about 20 uniformed soldiers accuse a member of the crowd at a training centre in the capital Bangui of having belonged to Seleka, the mostly Muslim rebel group that seized power in a coup last March.
They then stabbed him repeatedly until he was dead. A soldier stamped on the lifeless body, which was then dragged through the streets, dismembered and set alight as residents looked on and took photographs.
Samantha Power, US representative to the UN, speaks about French intervention in CAR
Ten minutes earlier, about 20 metres away, the new interim president, Catherine Samba-Panza, had addressed the crowd of at least 1,000 soldiers at a ceremony meant to re-introduce the army to the nation after it effectively disappeared from view during Seleka’s rule.
“Within a month, I would like to fully secure the greater part of the country, and I aim to stick to my word,” she said.
Samba-Panza was appointed two weeks ago to lead the country until elections are held next February, after coup leader Michel Djotodia stepped down under intense international pressure. She made clear it would take time to restore order.
“At a certain point, everyone will be held responsible for their acts. I am warning troublemakers who continue to sow disorder in the country,” she said.
Seleka’s 10-month occupation of cities and towns across the country has been marked by rampant looting, torture and murder.
The deep resentment they spawned among the Christian majority led to the formation of Christian “anti-balaka” militias, meaning “anti-machete” in the local Sango language, further fanning the flames of inter-religious bloodshed.
About 1 million people, a quarter of the former French colony’s population, have fled their homes. Even the presence of 1,600 French soldiers and 5,000 African troops has so far failed to stop the tit-for-tat violence, which the UN says has already killed more than 2,000 people.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) warned that rebels who have fled the capital in recent weeks are regrouping in the country’s northwest where they have launched renewed attacks against civilians.
INTERVENTION IN THE CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- UN denies killing civilians in Central African Republic
- Rwandan genocide: Journalist Judi Rever accuses Tutsis of slaughtering Hutus
- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir orders release of 'all political prisoners'
- Nigerian President Buhari meets released Dapchi girls
- Nigeria struggles to contain Lassa fever outbreak
- Gupta firms lose bid to have Bank Baroda remain in South Africa
- Six aid workers killed in Central African Republic, says UNICEF
- Case dismissed against French troops accused of child rape in Central African Republic
- The remains of Central African Republic's imperial past
- Mugabe confined but 'safe' as army seizes power in Zimbabwe
- Vote-counting under way in Somaliland after first presidential poll in 7 years
- Calls for stronger UN force as Guterres ends CAR trip
- Disarming Bangui's fighters
- VIDEO: On patrol with the French army in the CAR
At least 22 people, including 16 women, were killed on Wednesday when Seleka fighters attacked the northwestern city of Nzakone, according to a resident of the village contacted by Reuters.
“We’re calling for the new government to send (African and French) soldiers to protect us and our towns, otherwise we’ll be wiped out,” said Elie Chikolo, adding that another 18 people were killed in attacks on nearby villages last week.
Most Seleka fighters withdrew from Bangui after Samba-Panza’s inauguration last month, but Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday that the rebels were regrouping.
The rights group accused Chadian peacekeepers of facilitating the movements of Seleka leaders responsible for a new wave of atrocities.
“If the African Union is truly going to protect civilians in the Central African Republic, it needs to rein in the rogue activities of the Chadian peacekeeping troops,” said Peter Bouckaert, HRW’s emergencies director.
Many of Seleka’s fighters come from Chad and Sudan, but Chadian officials deny supporting the rebels.
Chadian military officials said on Wednesday they had detained and disarmed 262 fleeing Seleka fighters that had entered Chad, seizing more than 300 weapons, ammunition and a dozen vehicles.
“We didn’t want to give our weapons to the French, so we crossed over to give them to the Chadians,” Seleka’s Colonel Ahmat Abdelkérim Bahar told a Reuters journalist in the town of Doba.
(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS)
Date created : 2014-02-06