Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Exiled family returns to Somaliland

Read more

DEBATE

Whose boots on the ground? Turkey wary of Syrian Kurds (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Whose boots on the ground? Turkey wary of Syrian Kurds

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dacian Ciolos, EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU-US free trade agreement: A bad deal for European consumers?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Somali president

Read more

ENCORE!

Tony Allen: Putting the 'beat' in Afrobeat

Read more

REPORTERS

Uruguay: President Mujica’s social revolution

Read more

FOCUS

Video: Turkey ‘turns blind eye’ to border-crossing jihadists

Read more

Americas

Woody Allen denies daughter abuse claims in open letter

© Photo: AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-02-08

American film director Woody Allen denied renewed accusations Friday that he molested his daughter as a child in an open letter published in The New York Times, calling the allegations “ludicrous” and the fault of his former partner, Mia Farrow.

An advance copy of Allen’s Op-Ed piece, to be published in the upcoming Sunday edition of the New York Times, was posted on the paper’s website five days after his daughter, Dylan Farrow, revived the accusation in an open letter on the Times’ website.

Allen was never arrested or prosecuted after the allegations of sexual abuse against him first surfaced in 1993 and were investigated by state investigators in Connecticut, where Mia Farrow and her children lived.

Dylan, now 28, expanded on the molestation accusations in her open letter, asserting that Allen assaulted her in a closet-sized attic of the family home.

The filmmaker had previously issued denials of the latest claims through statements by his attorney in multiple television appearances.

“Of course, I did not molest Dylan,” Allen wrote. “I loved her and hope one day she will grasp how she has been cheated out of having a loving father and exploited by a mother more interested in her own festering anger than her daughter’s well-being.”

Allen said Dylan’s open-letter included “creative flourishes that seem to have magically appeared during our 21-year estrangement”.

“Not that I doubt Dylan hasn’t come to believe she’s been molested,” he continued, “but if from the age of seven a vulnerable child is taught by a strong mother to hate her father because he is a monster who abused her, is it so inconceivable that after many years of this indoctrination the image of me Mia wanted to establish had taken root?”

‘Final word’

Mia, 68, who appeared in more than a dozen of Allen’s films, ended their 12-year relationship in 1992 amid revelations that Allen was having an affair with her then-22-year-old adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn, who later became his wife.

Allen has long asserted that Mia fabricated the molestation claims against him and planted them in their daughter’s mind as a ploy to damage him in the bitter custody battle that ensued.

Allen said in his letter he believes Mia concocted the details of the alleged abuse, and that they were inspired by the Dory Previn song “With My Daddy in the Attic”.

“Does the letter really benefit Dylan or does it simply advance her mother’s shabby agenda?” said Allen. “That is to hurt me with a smear. There is even a lame attempt to do professional damage by trying to involve movie stars, which smells a lot more like Mia than Dylan.”

Allen also addressed the claim by Mia that her ex-husband Frank Sinatra could be the father of son Ronan Farrow, not Allen.

“Even if he is not Frank’s, the possibility she raises that he could be, indicates she was secretly intimate with him during our years,” said Allen.

“Not to mention all the money I paid for child support. Was I supporting Frank’s son? Again, I want to call attention to the integrity and honesty of a person who conducts her life like that.

The imbroglio comes as Allen stands nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for his latest film, “Blue Jasmine,” which also garnered acting nominations for Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins.

Allen said his open letter “will be my final word on this entire matter and no one will be responding on my behalf to any further comments on it by any party”.

(FRANCE 24 with AP, REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-02-08

  • USA

    Woody Allen calls sex abuse allegations ‘untrue and disgraceful’

    Read more

  • UNITED STATES

    Dylan Farrow renews Woody Allen abuse claims

    Read more

  • CINEMA

    Woody Allen to shoot next film in south of France

    Read more

COMMENT(S)