Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Concerns grow as hobby drone use increases

Read more

WEB NEWS

Buffalo residents share stunning images of the snowstorm

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

Africa

S. Sudan truce collapses as rebels advance on oil town

© afp

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-02-18

Rebel forces in South Sudan launched a major assault Tuesday on the key oil town of Malakal, the army said, as a ceasefire deal agreed with the government late last month appeared to be in collapse.

"Fighting is still continuing. There are pockets of rebels in Malakal town but they are not controlling Malakal town," South Sudan army spokesman Philip Aguer said.

The government admitted that the rebels were in control of some parts of Malakal, the capital of Upper Nile state.

"The SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army) is determined to flush them out," Aguer said, adding that the rebels "conducted the attack with the purpose of looting".

An aid source said rebels had launched "a very big, coordinated attack" and warplanes – possibly Ugandan – had been flying over the town in support of government troops.

"Our team can hear small-arms fire," said another foreign aid source, who also asked not to be identified because of security concerns, adding that it was "not at all clear who is in control".

The UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said its bases – where thousands of civilians are sheltering – had been cut off: "Our compounds have been cut off in some of the crossfire," UNMISS spokesman Joe Contreras said.

Ceasefire in freefall, talks continue

The fighting was the heaviest since the government of President Salva Kiir and rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar signed a ceasefire agreement in neighbouring Ethiopia on January 23.

Kiir's spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, said that the slow-moving peace talks would continue.

"The president instructed the government team in Addis Ababa to continue with the peace talks in Addis Ababa. The president is willing to bring peace in South Sudan," he said.

The conflict in South Sudan – the world's youngest nation, which won independence from Khartoum less than three years ago – erupted in the capital Juba on December 15, but quickly spread across the country.

The fighting has left thousands of people dead and displaced close to 900,000 – including tens of thousands who have crammed into UNMISS bases for fear of ethnically motivated attacks by either Kiir's Dinka tribe or Machar's Nuer tribe.

The aid agency Oxfam said civilians trapped in Malakal were "very afraid".

"It's really worrying that this is happening and that the ceasefire is not being upheld, and it really damages our work to help the poorest and most vulnerable," said Oxfam spokeswoman Grace Cahill.

"Aside from the psychological trauma, it also has a practical impact on their access to food, water and medical care," she said.

Mutual accusations 

Malakal, situated on the bank of the White Nile, is one of three state capitals that were in rebel hands but which were recaptured by South Sudan's government, backed by Ugandan troops, before the ceasefire was signed.

A government official attending peace talks in Addis Ababa accused the rebels of having consistently violating the truce.

"It is very clear now that they are people who are not respecting ... the cessation of hostilities and they are not ready to abide by it, they are not ready to listen to the language of peace and they believe that everything can be finished by use of force," Michael Makuei told AFP.

Rebel spokesman Hussein Mar Nyout said the rebels were acting in "self-defence".

"Since last week, actually, the government forces have been advancing. From day one we are seeing the government having completely violated the ceasefire," he said.

"Our forces have actually not advanced anywhere ... maybe they were acting in self-defence."

The humanitarian situation in and around Malakal, as in many other areas of the country, has already been described as desperate, with tens of thousands of residents having fled and moved to makeshift camps in the bush.

UN officials and rights groups have reported a wave of atrocities committed by both sides, including massacres, rapes, the use of child soldiers and the looting of humanitarian aid supplies.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

 

Date created : 2014-02-18

  • SOUTH SUDAN

    South Sudan signs ceasefire deal with rebels

    Read more

  • SOUTH SUDAN

    South Sudan rebels lose key oil town to govt forces

    Read more

COMMENT(S)