Ukraine’s newly appointed navy chief on Sunday defected and pledged allegiance to Crimea’s pro-Russia authorities in a shock move.
• Washington announces that US Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Kiev on Tuesday.
• US President Obama speaks to German Chancellor Angela Merkel over the phone, underscoring the “complete illegitimacy” of Russia’s intervention in Ukraine.
• Ukraine’s newly appointed navy chief, Denis Berezovsky, defects from his post and pledges allegiance with pro-Russian authorities in Crimea. Ukraine’s Security Council opens a criminal procedure against Berezovsky, accusing him of treason.
• US Secretary of State John Kerry condemns Russia’s “incredible act of aggression” and warns of “very serious repercussions” from the United States and other countries, including sanctions to isolate Russia economically.
• Britain and France follow the examples of Canada and the US in suspending their involvement in the G8 preparatory meetings in Sochi, Russia.
• Anti-war demonstrations are held in Kiev and several other Ukrainian cities.
• Ukraine mobilises for war, calling up its reservists.
• Ukraine's Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk says his crisis-hit country is on the "brink of disaster", accusing Russia of making a “declaration of war”.
• Hundreds of armed Russian troops on Sunday surrounded the Ukrainian military base at Perevalne, in the Crimea region.
You can follow today's events as they happened below. If you are using a tablet or a smart phone, click here.
Date created : 2014-03-02