Turkey's telecoms authority says it has taken an "administrative measure" to block access to YouTube, a day after a court in Ankara ordered that a March 21 government ban on Twitter be suspended.
The block comes the same day that an anonymous YouTube account posted an audio recording of what it said was a meeting between Turkey’s foreign minister, its intelligence chief, and top military and foreign ministry officials. The men are allegedly heard discussing possible Turkish military operations in Syria.
Turkey's foreign ministry said in a written statement that the YouTube leak was a "wretched attack" on national security and that those behind it would receive the harshest possible punishment.
The ministry also said that some sections of the recording had been manipulated.
The latest attack on access to social media sites comes a day after a court in Ankara suspended a March 21 government ban on the micro-blogging site Twitter, giving the telecoms authority 30 days to restore access.
The Twitter crackdown followed soon after links were tweeted to alleged wiretapped recordings of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaking to family members about hiding funds as police launched massive anti-corruption raids last December.
Erdogan has said the leaks are part of a plot orchestrated by his political enemies to undermine him ahead of March 30 elections.
He has threatened to "root out" the micro-blogging platform and other social networks that have highlighted damaging allegations of corruption in his government.
(FRANCE 24 with AP and REUTERS)
Date created : 2014-03-27