Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PRESS

‘Asia Weinstein’: Italian press relishes Argento assault allegations

Read more

FOCUS

Venezuela: Worsening economic crisis erodes Chavista stronghold

Read more

ENCORE!

Strike a pose: The Studio Harcourt on capturing star profiles across the decades

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Jacob Zuma corruption scandal: Influence-peddling inquiry opens

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MeToo accuser accused in turn

Read more

THE DEBATE

Venezuela's meltdown

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Greece turns the page on eight years of bailout programmes

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'A lot of IS group fighters are underground,' says US-led coalition spokesman

Read more

FOCUS

Surviving hyperinflation in Venezuela

Read more

Middle East

Syrian rebels evacuate Homs in ceasefire deal

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-05-07

Syrian rebels evacuated a reported 400 fighters from the country’s besieged city of Homs on Wednesday in accordance with a deal struck with government forces last week, activists and officials said.

Two convoys of buses snaked their way through the crumbling ruins of the besieged city, taking hundreds of fighters to safety in rebel-held areas outside the city under a deal reached between the rebels and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.

The predominantly Sunni Muslim rebels had held out in the Old City of Homs and neighbouring districts despite being undersupplied, outgunned and subjected to more than a year of siege and bombardment by Assad’s forces.

At the same time as they were evacuated from Homs, dozens of captives held by rebels in the northern provinces of Aleppo and Latakia were also freed as part of the same deal.

But a planned relief convoy trying to reach two rebel-blockaded Shiite towns outside Aleppo was turned back by fighters from al Qaeda’s Nusra Front, raising questions about the successful completion of the Homs operation.

Provincial governor Talal Barazi denied reports during the day of any halt to the evacuation, which the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said had transported 400 fighters out of the old city.

Video footage of the first convoy showed a group of men climbing aboard a green bus, watched by around a dozen men in khaki uniform and black flak jackets marked “police”. In front of the bus was a white car with the markings of the United Nations, which helped oversee the operation.

Activists said a total of 1,900 people, mainly rebel fighters, were being evacuated. The Syrian Arab Red Crescent said on its Twitter account it had sent ambulances to take wounded people out of the city centre.

Later video showed them arriving in a rebel-held area north of the city. Unlike what happened in an evacuation of civilians from Homs in February, activists said, they were not detained for checks by security forces and were allowed to keep their light weapons.

Assad gains

The evacuation comes after months of gains by the army, backed by its Lebanese militant ally Hezbollah, along a strategic corridor of territory linking the capital Damascus with Homs and Assad’s Alawite heartland on the Mediterranean.

The final rebel withdrawal from the centre of the city, known as the “capital of the revolution” when protests first erupted against Assad in 2011, would consolidate his military control ahead of a June 3 presidential election.

Assad is widely expected to be the runaway victor in the vote, which his opponents have dismissed as a charade.

They say no credible election can be held in a country fractured by years of conflict, with swathes of territory outside government control, 6 million people displaced and another 2.5 million refugees abroad.

The rebels are expected to leave Homs in up to nine convoys, carefully synchronised with the aid delivery and the release of captives held by the rebels near Nubl and Zahraa, and the town of Kassab in Latakia province.

One activist said a Russian national and several Iranians were among those being released by the rebels. There was no independent confirmation, but Moscow and Tehran have both supported Assad in the country’s three-year-old conflict.

More than 150,000 people have died in the fighting. Millions more have fled their homes and the government has lost control of areas across the north and east.

Provincial governor Barazi said Wednesday’s operation would ultimately clear the whole of Homs city of gunmen and weapons, suggesting rebels would also be evacuated from the suburb of Al-Waer on the city’s northwestern outskirts.

Rebels in Al-Waer and districts around the Old City have held out against Assad’s forces since the army drove them out of the ruins of the Baba Amr district, a cradle of the rebellion, in March 2012.

Since then the army has gradually tightened its grip around the rebel areas, blocking weapons, medical supplies and food. It allowed hundreds of civilians to leave in February after lengthy UN mediation.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-05-07

  • USA - SYRIA

    FBI warns of ‘future 9/11’ over Westerners fighting in Syria

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Rebel deal with Damascus to allow evacuation of Homs

    Read more

  • HEALTH

    WHO warns against new spread of polio

    Read more

COMMENT(S)