A Chinese national was killed and 10 others were feared kidnapped after an overnight attack in northern Cameroon believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram militants from Nigeria, officials said on Saturday.
"Boko Haram Islamists attacked a camp (of road workers). A Chinese was killed. Ten Chinese cannot be found since the attack. We think they have probably been kidnapped," a local police chief said on condition of anonymity.
The cross-border attack comes as Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan arrived in Paris Saturday to attend an international summit on Nigerian security, aimed at forging a strategy against the Islamist group.
“Nigeria feels that Cameroon is not doing enough,” said FRANCE 24’s Leela Jacinto, reporting from the summit.
A source close to the Chinese embassy in Yaounde spoke of 10 missing and one wounded but would not confirm or deny whether one Chinese worker had been killed.
"Cameroonian soldiers retaliated and the fighting lasted until 3:00am (0200 GMT)," the officer said.
"The Boko Haram militants were heavily armed, they came in five vehicles," an official in Waza told the Agence France-Presse news agency on condition of anonymity.
He said the camp where the Chinese road workers stayed was usually guarded by soldiers from Cameroon's elite Rapid Intervention Battalion.
"Their numbers were thinner these past few days because many of them had gone down to Yaounde" for the traditional military parade marking National Day on May 20, the official said.
The police officer said the militants also attacked the police post in Waza overnight and raided its armoury.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)
- Hunger has forced many Nigerian refugees in northern Cameroon to return to dangerous Boko Haram territory.
- Several killed in suicide bombings at Nigeria refugee camp
- Boko Haram suspects tortured to death in Cameroon, rights group says
- Cameroon army vessel capsizes at sea, dozens missing
- Boko Haram kill nine, kidnap dozens in Niger village
- Nigerian FM praises US for its support against Boko Haram
- France, African nations launch regional force to fight jihadists
- France's Macron returns to Mali to boost regional anti-terrorism force
- Nigeria: Over a dozen people killed in Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri
- Ivory Coast: Three dead in clashes between police and ex-rebels in Bouaké
- Video: Scores of Nigeria's Chibok schoolgirls reunited with their families
- Burundi: Three members of ruling party's youth wing killed in grenade attack
- Parents of Chibok girls find out if their daughters are among 82 girls freed
- Nigeria admits ‘regrettable mistake’ after killing dozens of refugees
- Nigeria mistakenly bombs refugee camp, 'scores killed'
- Kidnapped Nigerian women used by Boko Haram on front line
- Boko Haram ‘forcing girls to take part in operations’
- Dozens abducted in suspected Boko Haram attacks in Nigeria
- Might #BringBackOurGirls have worked?
- Protests mark kidnapping of Nigerian schoolgirls six months ago
- Boko Haram demands prisoner exchange for Nigerian schoolgirls
- Escaped Nigerian schoolgirl recounts 'terrifying' abduction
- UN calls for Nigerian schoolgirl abductors to face justice
- Boko Haram threatens to 'sell' kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls
- Hollande vows to help Nigeria fight Boko Haram
- More than 40 killed in Nigerian school massacre
- What’s in a name? Boko Haram gets a new terror title
- Can talking to Boko Haram give peace a chance?
- The Boko Haram terror chief who came back from the dead
Date created : 2014-05-17