The UN’s chemical weapons watchdog on Tuesday denied claims made by Syria’s foreign ministry that an investigation team was kidnapped by rebels in the central province of Hama.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), in charge of dismantling chemical weapons in the conflict-torn country, said a convoy of its inspectors had come under attack, but were no longer in danger.
Members of the team were not taken hostage, as was announced earlier by the Syrian government and relayed by news organisations, including FRANCE 24.
The OPCW said that the inspectors had been travelling to the site of an alleged chlorine gas attack site when they were assaulted.
All members are safe and travelling back to base, the organisation said in a statement
(FRANCE 24 with AP)
Date created : 2014-05-27