Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

The Best of the 2018 Cannes Film Festival

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2018: and the Palme d’or goes to....

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2018: Lebanese film 'Capharnaum' wows critics

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: vaccinations to start on Sunday

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The Royal wedding: Pomp & controversy

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2018: John Travolta brings the mob to the red carpet

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Summit or No Summit: North Korea angry over military drill

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Could thawing permafrost unleash long-gone deadly viruses?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French and noble in 2018: What remains of France's aristocracy?

Read more

Europe

French suspect arrested over Brussels Jewish Museum shooting

© Photo: AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-06-01

A Frenchman with suspected ties to Islamic extremists in Syria has been arrested over last week’s shooting at the Jewish Museum in Brussels that left four people dead, according to sources linked to the investigation.

The 29-year-old suspect was arrested Friday in the southern French city of Marseille, the sources told the AFP news agency.

He was detained by customs officials at the city’s coach station on board a bus arriving from Amsterdam via Brussels and was found carrying a Kalashnikov automatic rifle and a gun with ammunition in his luggage, as well as a miniature video camera.

He has been detained on suspicion of murder and attempted murder in connection with a terrorist enterprise, a judicial source said.

The office of the Belgian federal prosecutor confirmed a suspect was being held. Prosecutors in both Paris and Brussels were expected to give a news conference on the arrest later Sunday.

Originally from Roubaix in northern France, the man is believed to have travelled to join Islamist fighters in Syria in 2013, and was known to the French domestic intelligence agency the DGSI, the source said.

He is being questioned by the DGSI who can hold him for up to 96 hours, until Tuesday, or 144 hours, to Thursday, if investigators invoke an imminent terrorist threat.

Last week, Belgian police released a video of the museum attack, in which the suspect can be seen entering the museum carrying two heavy black bags from which he then pulls a Kalashnikov automatic rifle and opens fire. The man’s face is not clear in the footage as his head is covered by a gray cap.

An Israeli couple, a French woman and a Belgian man died in the shooting.

Belgian authorities have refused to say whether the attack was linked to anti-Semitism, though French President François Hollande said last week he had no doubt about the “anti-Semitic character” of the shootings.

After receiving news of the arrest, Joel Rubinfeld, head of the Belgian League against Anti-Semitism, described it as “a relief”.

"But this is also worrying us ... it is crucial that countries who have citizens who have gone to Syria take all necessary measures to make sure this does not happen again," he told France’s BFM-TV.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-06-01

  • BELGIUM

    Belgium opens terrorist probe in deadly Jewish Museum attack

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    Belgium police release video of deadly Jewish Museum attack

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    French citizen among victims of Jewish Museum attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)