Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US health institute says cases could top 1.4 million by January

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

New "cuddles-only" dating app hits the market

Read more

DEBATE

Strikes Over Syria (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Is somthing a-brewing in Britain since Scottish referendum?

Read more

DEBATE

Strikes Over Syria

Read more

ENCORE!

30 years of Americana through Jean-Pierre Laffont's lens

Read more

FOCUS

A little bit of Africa in Paris

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Frenchman kidnapped in Algeria: 'IS'-linked jihadists claim abduction of 55-year-old tourist

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU budget deficits: Time to be more flexible?

Read more

Africa

Second day of fighting on border between Rwanda and DRC

© Photo: AFP (file photo)

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-06-12

There was fresh fighting on the border between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday, a day after the two countries accused each other’s armies of mounting cross-border raids.

Rwandan and Congolese troops traded heavy weapons fire around 0600 GMT, according to a witness.

"There were heavy arms fire explosions, rockets," the resident told AFP on condition of anonymity.

A senior Congolese military officer said that Rwandan troops "attacked our positions."

Rwandan journalist Fred Mwasa, who said he was reporting from Rwanda’s northwest where the fighting occurred, also said on Twitter that shots were fired but blamed Congolese troops.

“Currently heading to location of ongoing indiscriminate firing into Rwanda by DRC soldiers,” he wrote, before saying it had already halted.

A Rwandan military source, speaking anonymously, told AFP that there had "not been serious clashes" but that had been "sporadic firings" of heavy weapons.

Rwanda said its forces had killed five DRC troops on Wednesday after they crossed the border and opened fire on a Rwanda Defense Force patrol.

The DRC government, though, blamed the skirmish on its neighbour, saying it began after Rwandan troops first entered Congolese territory and seized a soldier.

The two countries have long been at odds. Rwanda backed Congolese rebels during two wars in Congo from 1996 until Rwandan troops officially withdrew from DRC in 2003.

Since then, Kinshasa and UN experts have repeatedly accused Kigali of backing a rebellion by the M23 rebel group that temporarily seized control of parts of eastern DRC.

Rwanda denies the charges and says Congo is harbouring elements of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) Hutu militia that took part in the 1994 genocide, killing at least 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

The border region has been relatively calm in recent months, however, following the defeat of M23 and the signing of a peace deal in December.

There are fears that the latest violence could undermine international efforts to bring stability to the DRC's lawless east after years of bloody conflict.

The conflict is fuelled by the east's wealth of mineral reserves – particularly gold and minerals used in electronic products.

Western officials sought to play down the escalating rhetoric on Wednesday, as Rwandan Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said the country stood "ready to act to protect its citizens" against further attacks.

"We are in contact with both governments and are trying to understand exactly what happened...This is to reduce the tension," a senior United Nations official told AFP.

A Western military source said no troops had been moved, and the tensions were "localised".

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)

Date created : 2014-06-12

  • DR Congo - Rwanda

    DR Congo soldiers killed after incursion into Rwanda

    Read more

  • RWANDA

    Rwandan president blames France at genocide commemorations

    Read more

  • RWANDA

    Rwanda commemorates 20th anniversary of genocide

    Read more

COMMENT(S)