Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2015: Businesses 'cautiously optimistic' in Japan

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Twitter storm as IMF boss Christine Lagarde hails Saudi King Abdullah as 'strong advocate of women'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR CONGO: Senate amends controversial constitutional law

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Pope Family Planning: Heated Debate over Pontiff's 'Rabbit' Comments (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Saudi King Abdullah Dies: Succession, Stability and Youth in Question (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France tackles terror

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Jean-Pascal Tricoire, CEO of Schneider Electric: 'France is on a better track'

Read more

DEBATE

Davos debate: Can big business agree on climate deal? (part 2)

Read more

#THE 51%

Chile's abortion debate

Read more

Middle East

Israeli forces search for teens missing near the West Bank

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-06-13

Israeli forces are searching for three teens who went missing near a West Bank settlement, the army said Friday, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he held the Palestinian leadership responsible for their safety.

"The IDF (Israel Defence Forces) confirms three teenagers are currently missing," an army statement said.

"The individuals were last seen late last night in the area of Gush Etzion," a Jewish settlement southwest of Bethlehem in the southern West Bank, it said, adding that security forces were trying to find them.

The army gave no further details about the disappearance but refused to say whether the three had been kidnapped.

"We do not give details that could hamper the investigation," a military spokesman said, adding only that a "large scale" search was under way.

Netanyahu's office held the Palestinian leadership responsible for the disappearance in the occupied Palestinian territory.

"Israel holds the Palestinian Authority responsible for the well being of the 3 missing Israeli teens," Netanyahu's spokesman, Ofir Gendelman, wrote on Twitter.

Israeli media speculated the three may have been kidnapped by Palestinians. One has US citizenship, and the American embassy has been informed, public radio said.

Israeli troops set up checkpoints in the Gush Etzion and Hebron areas to stop and search cars, an AFP correspondent said.

A spokesman for the security services of the Palestinian Authority, General Adnan al-Damiri, called Netanyahu's suggestions "mad".

Damiri said that the Palestinian Authority had no authority in the Gush Etzion area, which is under total Israeli civilian and military control.

"Even if there was an earthquake, Netanyahu would blame the Palestinian Authority," he told AFP.

Another Palestinian official said the authority's security services were "cooperating" with Israeli agencies to gather information on the teenagers' disappearance.

Military radio said they were all students at a Jewish seminary or yeshiva, and that they went missing late Thursday near a bus stop.

The Israeli military sent reinforcements to the area and was carrying out searches in the Palestinian village of Dura, southeast of Hebron, an AFP photographer said.

The Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, armed branch of the Islamist Hamas movement ruling the Gaza Strip, issued a statement warning that "the occupier will never have security", but without referring specifically to the missing three.

Public radio said Netanyahu had been in touch with their families to reassure them that "everything" was being done to locate them.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

 

Date created : 2014-06-13

  • ISRAEL

    Likud Party's Rivlin to replace Peres as Israeli president

    Read more

  • ISRAEL

    Netanyahu wants to define Israel as ‘Jewish state’ in law

    Read more

  • PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES

    Palestinian unity govt to 'reject violence', recognise Israel

    Read more

COMMENT(S)