Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

#TECH 24

Tech giants under scrutiny: The problem with Uber

Read more

FOCUS

Inside an Iranian nuclear research reactor

Read more

Middle East

Bodies of missing Israeli teens found near Hebron, officials say

© Photo: AFP

Video by Catherine VIETTE

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-07-14

The bodies of three Israeli teens who went missing near Hebron two weeks ago have been found near the city in the occupied West Bank, security officials said on Monday.

The search for the teens, who disappeared on June 12, became a national obsession for Israel, setting off a frantic manhunt and large crackdown on the Hamas militant group.

"I was filled with deep sadness upon hearing of the murders of Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaer, and Eyal Yifrah by Hamas terrorists," deputy defence minister Danny Danon said in a statement that called for an operation aimed at "eradicating Hamas".

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said later Monday that “Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay”, adding that the teenagers “were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by wild beasts.”

Hamas, meanwhile, warned that it would open "the gates of hell' if it was targeted by any Israeli attack.

The bodies were found buried in a field near the village of Halhul, near the location where the teens disappeared.

Yifrah, 19, Shaer, 16, and Fraenkel, a 16-year-old with dual Israeli-American citizenship, disappeared while hitchhiking home near the West Bank city of Hebron late at night on June 12 and were never heard from again.

Despite the dangers, hitchhiking is common among Israelis travelling in and out of Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

Buried under rocks

The Israeli military and the Shin Bet security agency announced late Monday that the bodies had been found. “The bodies are currently going through forensic identification. The families of the abducted teens have been notified,” the army said.

Binyamin Proper, who was among the civilian volunteers that found the bodies, told Channel 2 TV that a member of the search party “saw something suspicious on the ground, plants that looked out of place, moved them and moved some rocks and then found the bodies. We realised it was them and we called the army.”

Israel accused Hamas of being behind the disappearances and launched a frantic manhunt throughout the West Bank, arresting nearly 400 Hamas operatives in the process. Last week, Israel identified two well-known Hamas operatives as the chief suspects. The two men remained on the run late Monday.

Mideast tensions high

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the disappearances, and his forces coordinated closely with Israel during the search for the teens.

But Netanyahu has called on Abbas to dissolve a unity government recently formed with the backing of Hamas, saying it is impossible to be committed to peace while simultaneously sitting together with a group that kidnaps Israelis.

Abbas has so far refused the calls, saying his new government is committed to his political program. Hamas is not part of his government, but has lent its backing from the outside.

Abbas convened the Palestinian leadership to discuss the Israeli youth deaths on Monday evening.

The search for the teens captured the nation’s attention. The Israeli media delivered round-the-clock updates on the search, and the mothers of the three teens became high-profile figures as they campaigned for their sons’ return.

Israelis held daily prayer vigils, including mass gatherings attended by tens of thousands of people at the Western Wall, the holiest prayer site in Judaism, and in a downtown square in Tel Aviv.

Late Monday, dozens of Israeli forces moved into the village of Halhul. There were no further details on the operation.

In Washington, US President Barack Obama condemned “in the strongest possible terms this senseless act of terror against innocent youth,” adding in a statement that he also urges “all parties to refrain from steps that could further destabilise the situation”.

(FRANCE 24 with AP, AFP)

Date created : 2014-06-30

  • ISRAEL

    Video: Inside the manhunt for missing Israeli teens

    Read more

  • ISRAEL

    Netanyahu accuses Hamas of abducting missing teens

    Read more

  • ISRAEL

    Israel intensifies search for teens feared abducted

    Read more

COMMENT(S)