Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • ‘European GPS’ satellites launched into wrong orbit

    Read more

  • Merkel in Kiev as aid convoy ‘returns to Russia’

    Read more

  • France will not be 'be pushed around' by Germany

    Read more

  • Suicide bomber targets Iraq intelligence HQ in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Video: Israel bombs kidnapping suspect’s home

    Read more

  • US brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Ebola prompts Philippines to recall UN troops in Liberia

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • US sued over ‘deportation mill’ in New Mexico

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels in face-to-face talks

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Ferguson

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • US job market yet to recover from recession, says Fed Chair

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Taliban sets 200 fuel trucks ablaze near Kabul

© Afp

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-07-05

An overnight Taliban bomb attack in the outskirts of Kabul set fire to some 200 fuel trucks that the militants claimed were supplying NATO troops in Afghanistan, officials said Saturday.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement that the group had carried out the attack. Taliban insurgents have targeted NATO supply convoys in the past.

"At around 10:30 p.m. dozens of fuel tankers belonging to private companies caught fire," Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai told AFP.

"No one can get close to them since the fire is still raging at the scene," he added, saying that there had been no casualties.

Kabul police director Gul Aghan Hashimi said a magnetic bomb had been used in the attack while a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said they were investigating whether the fuel was, in fact, intended for foreign troops.

The Afghan interior ministry said initial investigations found that 200 trucks had been damaged.

The incident took place in Chawk-e Arghandi and comes as the Taliban steps up attacks with NATO forces preparing to complete their withdrawal from the country by the end of the year.

Also on Friday, ISAF said a rocket attack at the main US military base at Bagram Airfield had resulted in "minor damages to equipment and one building".

The incidents came just a day after Taliban insurgents fired rockets into Kabul airport, destroying the Afghan president's parked helicopter and damaging three others.

On Wednesday a Taliban suicide bomber in Kabul killed eight military officers travelling on a military bus.

The attacks underlined security fears in the capital, which has been relatively peaceful since the June 14 presidential runoff between Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani.

Kabul has witnessed tense street demonstrations as the two candidates remain locked in a dispute over voter fraud, which is threatening to derail Afghanistan's first democratic transfer of power.

All NATO combat troops will exit by the end of the year, with about 10,000 US troops staying into 2015 if the new Afghan president signs a security deal with Washington.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

 

Date created : 2014-07-05

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghans vote in run-off election despite threat of violence

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghan presidential front-runner Abdullah survives bomb attack

    Read more

  • FRANCE 24 EXCLUSIVE

    Afghanistan’s Abdullah calls for ‘responsible’ US exit plan

    Read more

COMMENT(S)