Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Calais: a no-man's land for migrants

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Poland protests for right to abort

Read more

THE DEBATE

Poland's existential struggle: Abortion debate spurs protests over right-wing shift

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Equatorial Guinea's attempted coup began in France,' President Obiang tells FRANCE 24

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: '3 Billboards', 'In The Fade' and 'Downsizing'

Read more

FOCUS

Why Hong Kong is Asia's electronic garbage dump

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

IOM chief: 'Migrants are the quintessential agents of development'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigerian army releases 244 Boko Haram suspects

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Bitcoin takes a tumble over regulation fears

Read more

Africa

Video: Outrage in wake of deadly Casablanca buildings collapse

© FRANCE 24 | Screen grab of wreckage from buildings collapse in Casablanca

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-07-12

The death toll from the collapse of three residential buildings in Casablanca, Morocco’s largest city, earlier this week has risen from four to eight, local officials said on Saturday, amid local outrage.

Another 17 people were still in hospital after having been rescued from the wreckage, according to the same officials, who were quoted by MAP news agency.

It was not clear if the latest fatalities were people who died in hospital, or were found in the rubble.

The three buildings, all of which were four to five stories tall and set closely together, collapsed before dawn on Friday in Casablanca’s working class El-Hank neighbourhood.

Although no cause for the incident was immediately given, angry residents in El-Hank told FRANCE 24 that many buildings in the neighbourhood, which was originally constructed during the 1960s and 1970s, are not in compliance with building codes.

Firemen have thus far rescued at least 55 people from the ruins, including six children, but another dozen residents are still unaccounted for.

King Mohamed VI, who happened to be in Casablanca on Friday, visited the scene of the accident and the injured in hospital.

A palace statement said local authorities had been instructed to find temporary accommodation for those affected.

It is not the first time that a building has collapsed in Casablanca, Morocco’s economic capital, in recent years. Two people died at the end of 2012 when a building came down after bad weather.

The housing minister said at the time that between 4,000 and 7,000 buildings in the city were at risk of collapse.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Date created : 2014-07-12

COMMENT(S)