Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Carlos Tavares, CEO of PSA Peugeot-Citroën

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Demobilisation in DR Congo: 100 ex-fighters die of starvation

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'France is sinking!'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Algerian jihadists execute French hostage

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

UMP presidential nomination: May the best man win!

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Famine in South Sudan: 4 million struggling to find enough to eat

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Peugeot at Paris Motor Show: 'We are recovering'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

France defends deficit reduction delay in 2015 budget

Read more

FOCUS

Can Italy's Prime minister live up to his ambitious agenda?

Read more

Philippines urges nationals out of Libya after beheading, rape

AFP

Smoke billows from a petrol depot that has been ablaze for the fourth day following clashes between rival militias near the airport in the Libyan capital Tripoli on July 30, 2014Smoke billows from a petrol depot that has been ablaze for the fourth day following clashes between rival militias near the airport in the Libyan capital Tripoli on July 30, 2014

Smoke billows from a petrol depot that has been ablaze for the fourth day following clashes between rival militias near the airport in the Libyan capital Tripoli on July 30, 2014Smoke billows from a petrol depot that has been ablaze for the fourth day following clashes between rival militias near the airport in the Libyan capital Tripoli on July 30, 2014

The Philippines renewed calls for thousands of its nationals to leave Libya on Thursday after a Filipina nurse was abducted and gang-raped, following the beheading of a Filipino construction worker.

The foreign department said all 13,000 Filipinos there were to be repatriated as clashes between rival militias threaten to tear the country apart three years after Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled.

"We reiterate our call to our remaining nationals in Libya to immediately get in touch with the Philippine embassy in Tripoli and register for repatriation," said a fresh foreign department advisory issued Thursday.

The call came as the ministry confirmed reports that a Filipina nurse was abducted and gang-raped there on Wednesday.

The woman was seized outside her residence and taken to an unknown location, where she was sexually assaulted by up to six youths, foreign department spokesman Charles Jose told reporters.

She was released about two hours later and a Filipino consular team took her to hospital for treatment, he added.

The Philippines ordered its nationals out of Libya on July 20, the same day the beheaded remains of a Filipino construction worker were found at a hospital in the port of Benghazi.

The man had been abducted by suspected militiamen on July 15, apparently singled out because he was not a Muslim, according to Jose.

The department said a consular team has stayed behind in Tripoli despite the precarious security situation to coordinate the evacuation of Filipinos by land to Tunisia and Egypt where they will eventually be flown home.

It has also barred its nationals from travelling to Libya.

About 10 million Filipinos live and work abroad, many of them in the Middle East, in search of better-paying jobs.

The Philippines has also ordered about 100 Filipinos living in Gaza to leave the besieged Palestinian territory as Israel presses its offensive against Hamas militants.

Date created : 2014-07-31