Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Somalia twin bombings kill 18 in Mogadishu

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Arming the "good guys"?

Read more

THE DEBATE

Gun Control in the United States: Will the Florida shooting be the turning point?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Giving a voice to the homeless in France

Read more

REPORTERS

'Never Again': The students pushing for US gun control

Read more

#TECH 24

A bright future for solar power

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Winter in France's Burgundy vineyards

Read more

FOCUS

How French cyber police are patrolling the 'Dark Web'

Read more

ENCORE!

Marseille mon amour: Mediterranean city celebrates love

Read more

Europe

Ukrainian army suffers losses in separatist attack

© Genya Savilov, AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2014-08-01

Ukrainian television reported on Friday that 20 servicemen had been killed in an attack by pro-Russian separatists in east Ukraine during the night, but a military source said the death toll was likely lower.

Military officials said a paratrooper unit had come under mortar and tank fire near the town of Shakhtarsk, in the region where a Malaysian airliner was brought down on July 17, and the number of casualties was being checked.

Channel 112 gave no details, but said in a morning news bulletin: “Twenty Ukrainian paratroopers were killed in a Grad missile attack near Shakhtarsk.”

Ukrainian government forces have intensified their military offensive against the rebels in mainly Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine since the airliner came down, killing 298 people. The separatists are now pegged back in their two main strongholds, the cities of Donetsk and Lugansk.

The United States says the separatists probably shot down the plane by mistake with equipment provided by Russia, but the rebels and Moscow deny the accusation and blame the crash on Kiev’s military campaign to quell the uprising.

Kiev said in its latest combat report that Russian aircraft had flown over east Ukrainian territory, the latest of several such accusations in the past few weeks, but Moscow has denied the reports.

Rising death toll

The United Nations said in a report this week that more than 1,100 people had been killed and nearly 3,500 wounded between mid-April and July 26.

International diplomatic efforts were ongoing, as the US Senate on Thursday unanimously approved President Barack Obama’s choice of John Tefft to be the next American ambassador to Russia, filling a post that had been vacant since February.

Tefft is a former envy to Ukraine under Obama, and to Georgia and Lithuania under Republican President George W. Bush.

Tefft will go to Moscow as US-Russia ties are severely strained over Washington’s sanctions on Russia due to its support for rebels in eastern Ukraine.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS)
 

Date created : 2014-08-01

  • UKRAINE

    Investigators reach MH17 site amid 24-hour ceasefire

    Read more

  • RUSSIA

    Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • RUSSIA - EU

    Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

COMMENT(S)