Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Erdogan to rid Turkish institutions of ‘separatist cancer’ after coup attempt

Read more

ENCORE!

The best of summer music festivals in France

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Going for gold: French athletes train for Rio Olympics

Read more

#TECH 24

Digital beauty

Read more

FOCUS

Women doctors in Pakistan challenge the status quo

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Trump hopes to reset America's trade relations

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Donald Trump's speech was just another scam'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Cazeneuve at the heart of Nice security controversy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for Oscar Pistorius

Read more

Europe

Police raid Turkish daily publishing Charlie Hebdo

© AA | Extreme security measures were taken in the surroundings of the daily Cumhuriyet office in Istanbul overnight

Text by HÜRRIYET DAILY NEWS

Latest update : 2015-01-14

Police raided the printing press of Turkish daily Cumhuriyet on Jan. 14, as it prepared to distribute a four-page selection of Charlie Hebdo’s post-attack issue in an act of solidarity with the French satirical weekly.

The police also took extreme security measures ahead of the scheduled publication of the supplement.

Police cars were sent to the printer of the daily in Istanbul early on Jan. 14 and halted trucks to prevent the distribution of the Jan. 14 edition. The distribution was eventually allowed after the prosecution made sure that cartoons representing the Prophet Muhammad were not included in the selection.

The editor-in-chief of the daily, Utku Çakırözer, stated earlier that they had decided not to publish a cartoon on the cover featuring the Prophet Muhammad in tears holding a “Je suis Charlie” banner, in reference to solidarity protests with the magazine.

“When preparing this selection, we have been attentive to religious sensitivities as well as freedom of belief, in line with our editorial principles,” Çakırözer said via Twitter Jan. 13. “We didn’t include the cover of the magazine after a long deliberation.”

Death threats

Despite the daily’s decision not to publish the most controversial cartoons, police extended security measures in the surroundings of its offices in Istanbul’s central Şişli neighborhood.

An employee of daily Cumhuriyet told the Hürriyet Daily News on condition of anonymity on Jan. 15 that the newspaper had received hundreds of death threats.

Despite the official message of support to the victims, the magazine has been chided by many officials and commentators for publishing cartoons of Muhammad.

“Daily Cumhuriyet will be complicit with a magazine that insults sacred values and commits hate crimes against Muslims, slamming religion,” said conservative daily Yani Şafak, known for its closeness to the government.

'Most important version'

The surviving members of Charlie Hebdo announced on Jan. 13 that the new issue would be printed in 14 languages, including Turkish and Arabic. Its editor-in-chief, Gérard Biard, argued that the Turkish version was "the most important."

“Turkey is in a difficult period and secularism there is under attack,” Biard told Agence France-Presse.

Charlie Hebdo’s defiant cover had drawn ire from Muslim groups, who warned that it could still inflame tensions despite the massacre among those who believe any depiction of the Prophet Muhammad is blasphemous.

The magazine’s move especially prompted French Muslim groups to urge their communities to “stay calm and avoid emotional reactions” to the cartoon.

Click here to read more on the Hurriyet Daily News.

Date created : 2015-01-14

  • FRANCE

    Charlie Hebdo sells out as 5 million print run is announced

    Read more

  • TURKEY - MEDIA

    Video: 'Turkish Charlie Hebdo' vows to carry on despite threats

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Manhunt on for female accomplice in French attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)