Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2018: Macron to present vision for Europe

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2018: Spotlight on gender equality

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We might start an operation in Syria's Manbij,' says Turkish FM

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Couscous, protected by UNESCO? North Africa certainly hopes so!

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#ChooseFrance campaign aims to show 'France is back'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2018: Balancing tech risks and opportunities

Read more

THE DEBATE

Erdogan's new front: Turkey takes on Syria's Kurds (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Erdogan's new front: Turkey takes on Syria's Kurds (part 1)

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2018: Modi defends globalisation but warns it's losing its lustre

Read more

Europe

New round of Ukraine peace talks to be held in Belarus

© Dominique Faget, AFP I A pro-Russian separatist stands in front of a tank at a checkpoint in Enakieve, 25 kilometers from the eastern Ukrainian city of Debaltseve, on January 29

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-01-29

Representatives from Ukraine, Russia and European security watchdog the OSCE will meet in Belarus’s capital Minsk on Friday for a new round of talks aimed at ending fierce fighting in eastern Ukraine.

The Belarusian Foreign Ministry announced the meeting shortly after Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko called for urgent talks following a flare-up of violence in the region in recent weeks.

"The contact group on Ukraine has informed the Belarusian side of its intention to hold its next meeting in Minsk on January 30," the ministry said in a statement, without specifying whether representatives for pro-Russia separatists fighting in Ukraine’s east would be present at the talks.

Separatist leaders officially withdrew from peace negotiations last week as they announced the launch of a new offensive to expand their area of control.

Meanwhile, Russia’s envoy to the OSCE called on the United States and Europe on Thursday to stop supporting the “party of war” in Ukraine and warned “catastrophe” could result, Interfax news agency reported.

“I would like to appeal to the states that have influence on Kiev’s leadership, most of all to Washington. It’s time to stop indulging Ukraine’s party of war,” said Russia’s OSCE envoy, Andrei Kelin. “Only a big catastrophe can result from such developments.”

Russia has increasingly blamed the United States and NATO for the violence in eastern Ukraine. The West accuses Moscow of feeding a pro-Russian insurgency with guns and soldiers.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said this week that the Ukrainian army was a legion of NATO sent to geopolitically contain Russia.

Kelin added, “It’s time to stop covering (Kiev’s) inhuman actions, it is unacceptable to push (them) toward the continuation of war in eastern Ukraine."

Russia denies accusations it is sending money, arms or weapons to eastern Ukraine, where a pro-Russian uprising began months after Ukraine’s Moscow-backed President Viktor Yanukovich was ousted by street protests.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, REUTERS)

Date created : 2015-01-29

  • UKRAINE

    Several dead in Ukraine fighting as rebels press offensive

    Read more

  • UKRAINE

    Rebels launch deadly offensive in Ukraine's Mariupol

    Read more

  • UKRAINE

    Separatists reject ceasefire talks, announce fresh offensive

    Read more

COMMENT(S)