Don't miss




'Soviet-era enthusiasm' delivers Putin landslide

Read more


Facebook under pressure over Cambridge Analytica data harvest

Read more

#TECH 24

Unearthing the past with technology

Read more


'60 Minutes' to air interview with porn actress alleging affair with Trump

Read more


Ireland: The forgotten Angels of Tuam

Read more


South Africa: Former president Zuma to face corruption charges

Read more


In Africa, French is more than a common language

Read more


Poisoned relations: UK sanctions Russia over nerve agent attack

Read more


Behind the scenes at France's majestic Chantilly castle

Read more

france 24 France

France ‘foils terrorist attacks’ on military sites

© Miguel Medina, AFP | Archival picture shows French President François Hollande (L) alongside Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-07-16

Security forces prevented an attack on French military installations this week with the arrest of four people with links to jailed jihadists, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Wednesday.

The news of the arrests followed a statement from French President François Hollande, who said terrorist attacks had been foiled in recent days.

"This week, we stopped terrorist attacks which could have taken place," Hollande said on a visit to the French coastal city of Marseille.

The four suspects were aged between 16 and 23 and arrested in different places around France, Cazeneuve said. One was a former member of the navy.

A source close to the investigation into the thwarted attack, who asked to remain anonymous, said the four people arrested had been planning to film the decapitation of a member of the military in the south of France.

One of the four suspects, who was identified as the mastermind, had been planning to travel to jihadist-controlled areas of war-torn Syria, Cazeneuve added in his statement.

He said their leader was in contact with known French jihadists who are currently in prison.

The arrests were made at dawn on Monday, the day before Bastille Day, France’s national public holiday.

“At the [Bastille Day] ceremony, the president reminded us that every week we prevent... terrorist acts,” Cazeneuve said. “That was once again the case this week.”

Terror alert

Cazeneuve said no link had been established between the foiled assault and the two blasts on Tuesday at a petrochemical plant near Marseille.

The two blasts at a petrochemical plant in France appear to have been "criminal acts", the country's parliament has been told.

Cazeneuve added that security forces have now identified some 1,850 people normally resident in France who were known to be involved with jihadist networks.

Of those, about 500 were currently fighting with Islamists in Syria and Iraq, he said. France had issued 118 prevention orders stopping people from leaving the country.

The country is on high security alert after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in January, in which 17 people were killed in the Paris area, and after an incident in June in which a suspected Islamist radical beheaded his boss and tried to blow up a US-owned industrial gas plant in the suburbs of Lyon.

Paris has tightened security around sensitive sites such as factories, calling for "maximum vigilance".

But experts warned it was extremely difficult to defend against attacks on such sensitive sites.

"There is no such thing as zero risk," Philippe Prudhon, a technical expert at the UIC union of chemical industries, told AFP.

"If someone really wants to cause harm, it will be difficult to stop him or her.”



Date created : 2015-07-15


    Report warns of Islamist ‘time bomb’ in French prisons

    Read more


    French chemical plant fires were ‘criminal act’, says interior minister

    Read more


    French terror suspect took selfie with beheaded victim

    Read more