Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Kenya’s opposition leader to take poll dispute to Supreme Court

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's 'unprecedented transgression'

Read more

THE DEBATE

US racial tension - How far should freedom of speech be allowed to go?

Read more

THE DEBATE

Burkina Faso attack: How to restore security in the Sahel region?

Read more

THE DEBATE

India and Pakistan mark 70 years of independence: Can the two countries ever reconcile?

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

India: Cows at heart of political debate

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Trump again blames both sides for Charlottesville violence

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Macron: The shadow of a doubt'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Talks to begin on revamping NAFTA trade deal

Read more

france 24 France

Worker who eluded Charlie Hebdo killers sues French TV

© FRANCE 24 archives | Lilina Lepère recounts his ordeal on France 2 in January, 2015

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-08-18

An employee of a French print works where police cornered and killed the two brothers responsible for January’s deadly Charlie Hebdo killings is suing French TV for allegedly putting his life in danger during the siege.

Lilian Lepère, 26, spent eight hours hiding under a leaky sink after the Kalashnikov-wielding Kouachi brothers, Cherif and Saïd, took over the print works in Dammartin-en-Goële, some 40km from Paris.

The Kouachi brothers had been on the run for 48 hours after entering the offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo where they killed 12 people.

French special forces eventually stormed the print works, and Lepère and his boss, who had been taken hostage, survived the ordeal.

But in the fallout from the police siege, Lepère’s relief turned to anger as he reviewed the live coverage from three broadcasters, namely the France 2 and TF1 television stations, and RMC radio.

He now accuses the channels of endangering his life by saying live on air that there were possibly employees still on the site and that the terrorists weren’t aware of it, French daily Le Parisien reported on Tuesday.

“Divulging this information in real time, while the armed and determined Kouachi brothers were probably following the TV coverage themselves, put Lilian at risk,” his lawyer told the newspaper.

Lepère isn’t the first person to sue the French media for its role covering the killings in January.

Six shoppers at a Jewish supermarket that was targeted three days after the Charlie Hebdo killings by gunman Amedy Coulibaly, who killed four people, complained in March that the media’s live coverage of the event had put their lives at risk.

The six, who were hidden in the supermarket’s walk-in freezer, are suing BFM TV for broadcasting the position of police around the supermarket, while also revealing that there may have been people hiding in the building that the gunman wasn’t aware of.

Date created : 2015-08-18

  • FRANCE

    No more Mohammed cartoons, says Charlie Hebdo editor

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Reporters Without Borders’ freedom of expression petition flops in France

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Five terror attacks foiled in France in recent months, says PM Valls

    Read more

COMMENT(S)