Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Egypt, Morocco lose first World cup matches conceding last minute goals

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Macron likes his china fancy

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

World Cup: And in the end, Putin wins?; Trump hits back at critics; Migrant crisis divides EU governments

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

The Jewish community's place in French society

Read more

#TECH 24

Football and tech: The data game is on!

Read more

ENCORE!

John Cameron Mitchell on his new film 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties'

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Iran's water crisis

Read more

FOCUS

Residents of southern Lebanon live in fear of another war

Read more

#THE 51%

Turning pain into hope: Rwanda's children of rape

Read more

Africa

Tunisia lifts state of emergency imposed after beach attack

© AFP archive picture | Tunisia has been under a state of emergency since June

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2015-10-02

A state of emergency imposed in Tunisia after a jihadist gunman massacred 38 foreign tourists in June is set to be lifted, the president's office announced Friday.

"The state of emergency announced on July 4 and extended on July 31 ends today, October 2," Beji Caid Essebsi's office said.

"It had been extended for two months and this period ends" at midnight, presidency spokesman Moez Sinaoui told AFP, without elaborating.

On July 4, eight days after the shooting spree at the Mediterranean resort of Port El Kantaoui north of Sousse, Essebsi ordered a state of emergency for an initial 30 days.

On July 31, the president's office announced the measure would be extended for two months.

The state of emergency was one of a raft of measures introduced by the authorities after the seaside massacre, which dealt a heavy blow to Tunisia's key tourism industry.

The June 26 attack killed 30 Britons, three Irish, two Germans, one Belgian, one Portuguese and a Russian.

Afterwards, the government began arming tourism police for the first time and reinforced them with troops in an attempt to reassure foreign governments.

A state of emergency, granting special powers to the police and army, was in force for three years up until March 2014, following longtime secular president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali's ouster in a 2011 revolution.

Apart from allowing the barring of strike action, the measure authorised the authorities to raid homes at any time of the day and to keep tabs on the media.

(AFP)
 

Date created : 2015-10-02

  • TUNISIA

    Tunisia extends state of emergency by two months

    Read more

  • TUNISIA

    Tunisia makes multiple arrests over Sousse beach attack

    Read more

  • EYE ON AFRICA

    Deadly terror attack leaves dozens dead at Tunisian beach resort of Sousse

    Read more

COMMENT(S)