Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

‘Mexico will not finance US wall,’ foreign minister says

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

African nations need to prepare for potential return of thousands of jihadists

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo former child soldiers awarded $10 mn in damages in landmark ruling

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Website roots out "Rotten Apples"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Putin's press conference, Alabama election, One Planet Summit, Brexit Phase II, Disney & Fox

Read more

#TECH 24

WorldRemit: Helping migrant workers send money back home

Read more

FOCUS

The challenges awaiting the new leader of South Africa's ANC

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Bangladeshi PM calls violence in Myanmar 'unacceptable'

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Was 2017 the worst year for the environment?

Read more

France

Four still missing after deadly flash floods strike French Riviera

© Patrick Clemente, AFP | Damaged cars in downtown Cannes on October 4, 2015 after violent storms and floods struck the French Riviera overnight.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2015-10-05

Four people were still missing on Monday after flash floods on the French Riviera killed at least 17 people over the weekend, prompting the government to declare a natural disaster in the southeastern tourist region.

Some 5,000 homes were still without electricity on Monday morning after as many as 70,000 suffered blackouts the previous evening.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who visited the affected zone on Sunday with President Francois Hollande, told Europe 1 radio on Monday there had been some looting and nine people had been arrested.

"Police intervened very quickly to stop these despicable acts," he said.

Some 300 police and 543 fire officers were still carrying out search and rescue operations across areas affected by the floods, Cazeneuve said.

Torrential rain struck the Alpes-Maritimes administrative department, bordering Italy, on Saturday evening, flooding local towns including Cannes and disrupting transport routes.

The victims included three people killed at a retirement home that was flooded in the village of Biot, and seven inhabitants of the town of Mandelieu-la-Napoule who had attempted to reach their cars in a garage, local government officials said.

Local rail services resumed on Sunday after being suspended overnight. Train services were expected to remain limited for the rest of Monday, while some roads remained blocked.

President Francois Hollande said on Sunday the government would approve natural disaster status for the area at Wednesday's cabinet meeting and pledged.

French floods: The aftermath

(REUTERS)

 

Date created : 2015-10-05

  • FRANCE

    Deadly flash floods strike French Riviera

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    At least 13 dead after severe floods hit French Riviera

    Read more

  • USA

    Deadly flash floods strike Utah

    Read more

COMMENT(S)