Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

#BringBackOurGirls - anger and a sense of déjà vu

Read more

FOCUS

Italy helps integrate asylum seekers through training

Read more

FOCUS

'It's a jungle': Living on the street in the City of Light

Read more

THE DEBATE

Boko Haram Kidnappings: Can Nigerian schoolgirls be protected?

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Brand Trump: Has the US president damaged his company's reputation?

Read more

ENCORE!

Oscars sneak peek: 'Call Me By Your Name', 'I, Tonya' and 'Darkest Hour'

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

Are the French rude, or is it a big misunderstanding?

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Gun control in the US: A glimmer of compromise?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Opposition activist Evan Mawarire: Zimbabweans hope they can 'reset our future'

Read more

Africa

Burkina Faso coup general ‘charged with attacking state security’

© AFP file picture | General Gilbert Diendere (right) and Djibrill Bassolé have allegedly been charged with ‘attacking state security’

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2015-10-07

The general behind Burkina Faso’s failed coup was charged, together with a former top aide to ousted president Blaise Compaoré, with “murder” and “attacking state security” on Tuesday, judicial sources said.

General Gilbert Diendere and Djibrill Bassole, a former foreign minister under Compaoré, were also charged with “collusion with foreign forces to destabilise internal security”, “causing intentional injury” and “intentional destruction of property” over the short-lived September 17 putsch, the sources said.

The pair were remanded in custody.

Diendere had given himself up last week after after taking refuge at the residence of the Vatican’s ambassador to the west African country just before an army raid on the barracks of his elite, Compaoré-loyal Presidential Security Regiment.

He had said he was willing to face justice.

Bassole, by contrast, denied any involvement in the coup, his Paris-based lawyer Alexandre Varaut said last week.

Bassole was among the former members of Compaoré’s regime who were barred from running in upcoming presidential and parliamentary elections on the grounds they had had backed Compaoré’s bid to extend his 27-year grip on power.

One of the demands of the putschists was that the elections be “inclusive”, meaning that Compaoré loyalists like Bassole, who had announced a bid for president, be allowed to run for office.

After four days they agreed to hand back power to the interim government that has been running Burkina Faso since Compaoré’s ouster in a popular uprising in October 2014.

Ten people were killed in the September disturbances, according to the interim government.

(AFP)

Date created : 2015-10-06

  • BURKINA FASO

    Burkina Faso coup leader in police custody

    Read more

  • BURKINA FASO

    Burkina Faso launches negotiations for coup leader’s surrender

    Read more

  • BURKINA FASO

    Burkina army storms coup leader's barracks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)