Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

'Black Day for democracy': Malta mourning after top journalist is murdered

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Has the Weinstein scandal 'freed' women from their silence?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MeToo and #BalanceTonPorc exposes extent of sexual harrassment

Read more

FOCUS

Turkey's brain drain: Talents turn their backs to limited freedom and declining economy

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Internet giants: Too big to be taxed?

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU’s Karl-Heinz Lambertz: ‘Empowering regions and cities very important for Europe’s future’

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Client Liaison, Boyz II Men & Jessie Ware

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Iran deal decertified: Trump disavows nuclear agreement without walking away from it

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

British PM heads to Brussels amid Brexit standoff

Read more

Africa france 24

Communications cut ahead of Congo opposition rally

© Laudes Martial Mbom, AFP | A man holds a placard with a play on words referring to the Congolese president and reading "Sassou enough" during an opposition demonstration in Brazzaville on September 27, 2015.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-10-20

Communications were cut in Congo's capital Brazzaville on Tuesday, just hours ahead of an opposition rally to protest against a constitutional reform critics say is a ploy to extend longtime President Denis Sassou Nguesso’s stay in power.

Mobile Internet services, text messaging and the signal for FRANCE 24's sister radio RFI were all cut, an AFP correspondent said.

An unusual number of police and members of the gendarmerie were also out on the streets in opposition areas in southern districts of Brazzaville while many shops remained closed, the correspondent said.

The government had earlier banned all public meetings ahead of Sunday's referendum on a constitutional reform that will determine whether veteran leader Sassou Nguesso can seek another presidential term.

"In order to allow the electoral campaign to continue without injury or provocation, the government has decided to forbid the use of certain meeting spaces," Raymond Zephyrin Mboulou, communication minister, said in a statement.

The constitution currently bars the 72-year-old president from running again as there is an age limit of 70 as well as a maximum of two terms.

Sassou Nguesso has ruled oil-producing Congo Brazzaville, also known as the Republic of Congo, for 32 years in two separate spells in office.

Tens of thousands of his supporters staged a rally on Saturday to back the constitutional changes.

Growing tension between the two camps has stoked fears of an outbreak of violence in the country, which was wracked by civil war in the 1990s.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS, AFP)

 

Date created : 2015-10-20

  • CONGO BRAZZAVILLE

    Tens of thousands protest against Congo president’s bid to extend rule

    Read more

  • CONGO BRAZZAVILLE

    Congo's longtime president calls referendum in bid to extend rule

    Read more

COMMENT(S)