Don't miss




France's Côte-d'Or: A wine lovers paradise in a world heritage site

Read more


The French master craftsmen who illuminate the chandelier

Read more


Le vie en rose: Inside France’s magical Picardy garden

Read more


Does ‘la Françafrique’ still exist?

Read more


The home of the superstar of French wines: Champagne

Read more


France’s perfume capital: The flower fields of Grasse

Read more


Cameroon passenger train derails : "substantiual human and material damage" says transport minister

Read more


Trump/Clinton charity dinner: Roast gone too far?

Read more


Britain-EU clash over border policy, Philippine president announces 'separation' from the US (part 2)

Read more


Mali mourns 'heavy toll' after hotel terror attack

© Habibou Kouyaté / AFP | Malian security forces carry out the bodies of victims after gunmen attacked the Radisson Blu hotel in the capital Bamako and took a number of people hostage on Friday, November 20, 2015


Latest update : 2015-11-21

Islamist militants killed 19 people in an attack on a top hotel in the capital of Mali on Friday before government commandos stormed the building and rescued 170 people, many of them foreigners.

President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita announced the death toll and said seven people were wounded in the attack, which has been claimed by jihadist group Al Mourabitoun and al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM). Two militants were killed.

Friday’s assault on the Radisson Blu hotel comes a week after deadly Islamic State attacks in Paris that killed 130 people. The Mali attack was the latest in a series of deadly raids this year on high-profile targets in the country, which has battled Islamist rebels based in its desert north for years.

“Tonight the death toll is heavy,” Keita said on state television, declaring a 10-day state of emergency and three days of national mourning. The president had been attending a security summit in Chad at the time of the attack but returned to Mali and convened an emergency cabinet meeting.

Malian security forces have begun a manhunt for suspects linked to the attack.

"The search has started and I can tell you that we are looking for more than three people at the moment," said Maj. Modibo Nama Traore.

After learning of the death of six Russian civilians, President Vladimir Putin sent a telegram to Keita in which he "stressed that the inhuman crime committed in Mali's capital again confirms that terrorism knows no borders and is a real danger for the whole world," the Kremlin said in a statement.

"People of different nationalities and beliefs become its victims, and it is only possible to confront this threat with the broadest international cooperation," Putin added.

In a speech on the sidelines of a summit with Asian nations in Malaysia, US President Barack Obama described the raid in Mali as “another awful reminder of the scourge of terrorism”.

“Once again, this barbarity only stiffens our resolve to meet this challenge,” he said.

“We will stand with the people of Mali as they work to rid their country of terrorists and strengthen their democracy. With allies and partners, the United States will be relentless.”

The attack is a sharp setback for former colonial power France, which has stationed 3,500 troops in northern Mali to try to restore stability after a rebellion in 2012 by ethnic Tuaregs that was later hijacked by jihadists linked to al Qaeda. Despite the French-led military intervention that drove the extremists from cities and towns, attacks have continued and extended farther south this year, including an assault on a Bamako restaurant popular with foreigners in March.

It also puts a spotlight on veteran militant leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar, whose group Al Mourabitoun staged the attack months after he was reported killed in an air strike.

Minister of Internal Security Colonel Salif Traoré said the gunmen burst through a hotel security barrier at 7 a.m. (0700 GMT), spraying the area with gunfire and shouting “Allahu Akbar”, or “God is great” in Arabic.

“At first I thought it was a carjacking. Then they killed two guards in front of me and shot another man in the stomach and wounded him and I knew it was something more,” said Modi Coulibaly, a Malian legal expert who saw the assault start.

Al-Mourabitoun, a North African jihadi group headed by a former Qaeda fighter

The attack ended around 4 p.m. In an earlier report, a U.N. official said U.N. peacekeepers searching the hotel made a preliminary count of 27 bodies.

As troops stormed the hotel, state television showed them brandishing AK47s in the lobby. A body lay under a brown blanket at the bottom of a flight of stairs.

The U.S. State Department said one American was killed. The White House said it was working to locate all Americans in Mali, and it offered to help with an investigation and urged its citizens to limit their movements around Bamako.

A man who worked for a Belgian regional parliament was also among the dead, the assembly said. France’s Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said he was not aware of any French nationals killed.

Bursts of gunfire

Bursts of gunfire were heard as the militants went through the hotel room by room and floor by floor, one senior security source and a witness told Reuters.

Some people were freed by the attackers after showing they could recite verses from the Koran, while others managed to escape or were brought out by security forces.

One of the rescued hostages, celebrated Guinean singer Sékouba “Bambino” Diabate, said he had overheard two of the assailants speaking English as they searched an adjacent room.

“We heard shots coming from the reception area. I didn’t dare go out of my room because it felt like this wasn’t just simple pistols - these were shots from military weapons,” Diabate told Reuters by phone.

“The attackers went into the room next to mine. I stayed still, hidden under the bed, not making a noise,” he said. “I heard them say in English ‘Did you load it?’, ‘Let’s go’.”

Twelve Air France flight crew members were in the hotel but all were brought out safely, the French national carrier said.

A Turkish official said five of seven Turkish Airlines staff had also managed to flee. The Chinese state news agency Xinhua said three Chinese citizens had been killed in the attack.

Possibly only two attackers

Northern Mali was occupied by Islamist fighters, some with links to al Qaeda, for most of 2012. They were driven out by a French-led military operation, but violence has continued in Bamako and central Mali on the southern reaches of the Sahara.

One security source said as many as 10 gunmen had stormed the building, although the company that runs the hotel, Rezidor Group, said it understood there were only two attackers.

Al Mourabitoun has claimed responsibility for a number of attacks, including an assault on a hotel in the town of Sevare, 600 km (375 miles) northeast of Bamako, in August in which 17 people including five U.N. staff were killed.

One of its leaders is Belmokhtar, blamed for a large-scale assault on an Algerian gas field in 2013 and a major figure in insurgencies across North Africa.

In the wake of last week’s Paris attacks, an Islamic State militant in Syria told Reuters the organisation viewed France’s military intervention in Mali as another reason to attack France and French interests.

“This is just the beginning. We also haven’t forgotten what happened in Mali,” said the non-Syrian fighter, who was contacted online by Reuters. “The bitterness from Mali, the arrogance of the French, will not be forgotten at all.”

(France 24 with REUTERS and AP)

Date created : 2015-11-21

  • MALI

    Special forces storm besieged Mali luxury hotel

    Read more

  • MALI

    UN to set up ‘security zone’ in north Mali after clashes

    Read more

  • MALI

    Al Qaeda-linked group claims Mali hotel siege

    Read more