Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Indigenous peoples: Fighting discrimination

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

From Turkey to Iran: (re)inventing kebab

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Paleontologist Kenneth Lacovara: ‘Dinosaurs were the last great champions’

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Alan Turing's nephew: ‘A Shakespearean tragedy surrounded his life’

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwe: Chamisa's lawyers contest election results in court

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

New US sanctions on Iran: Trump ups pressure after exiting nuclear deal

Read more

IN THE PRESS

‘Space Farce’? Alternative logos for new US military branch flood social media

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zambia accused of illegal handover of Zimbabwean opposition figure

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MyCameraIsMyWeapon campaign takes on Iran's mandatory hijab law

Read more

France

Compensation for Paris attack victims ‘could reach €300m’

© Joel Saget / AFP | A picture shows flowers laid in memory of victims in front of the Casa Nostra restaurant, one of the sites of November’s terror attacks in Paris, on December 2, 2015, in Paris

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-12-17

Compensation for the victims and their families of last month’s terrorist attacks in Paris "could reach a total of €300 million", France’s justice minister Christiane Taubira said Thursday.

A government fund set up in 1986 to compensate victims of terrorist acts has “already paid out €6.7 million to the families of deceased victims” of the November 13 attacks in which 130 were killed by Islamic State group terrorists, Taubira told French daily Le Parisien.

Another €771,000 has been paid to those wounded in the attacks and their families and to cover the travel costs of relatives, said Taubira.

In the wake of the attacks, the French government set up a dedicated hotline for victims and their families, including those who had witnessed the attacks and suffered psychological damage as a result, to help them access the compensation fund.

From the day of the attacks until the end of November, around 11,000 calls to the hotline were made, said Taubira.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Date created : 2015-12-17

  • TOURISM

    Security fears blight Paris tourism a month after attacks

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Paris to archive notes and drawings left after attacks

    Read more

  • AUSTRIA - FRANCE

    Two arrested in Austria over suspected links to Paris attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)