Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

'Where is the solidarity for Somalia?'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Liberia's presidential election: Results trickle in as observers give thumbs-up

Read more

THE DEBATE

France's Weinsteins: Watershed moment in fight against sexual abuse?

Read more

FOCUS

A shield and a target: France's anti-terrorism operation 'Sentinelle'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MeToo and #BalanceTonPorc expose extent of sexual harassment

Read more

ENCORE!

Musical maestro Philippe Jordan on bringing passion to the Paris Opera

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Black day for democracy': Malta in mourning after top journalist is murdered

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Has the Weinstein scandal 'freed' women from their silence?

Read more

THE DEBATE

Europe’s newest face: Kurz’s election win indicates rightward shift for Austria

Read more

france 24 Europe

Belgium charges ninth suspect linked to Paris attacks

© Emmanuel Dunand, AFP | Belgian police patrol the streets of Brussels in the wake of the November 13 Paris attacks

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-12-24

Belgian authorities have charged a ninth person in connection with last month's deadly Paris attacks, the prosecutor's office said Thursday.

A spokesman said the suspect -- later identified as Abdoullah C., a Belgian national born in 1985 -- had telephoned Hasna Aitboulachen, the cousin of alleged ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud, several times after the November 13 attacks and before a police raid five days later in which both Abaaoud and his cousin died.

Abaaoud is believed to have led the team of at least nine gunmen and suicide bombers who killed 130 people and injured hundreds more in coordinated attacks against Paris nightspots.

Belgian authorities have been under pressure to crack down on suspected jihadists in the country after it emerged that several of the Paris attackers, including Abaaoud, lived in the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek.

Police are still looking for Salah Abdeslam, who is believed to have taken part in the Paris shootings and whose brother Brahim blew himself up in the attacks.

Sources close to the investigation say Abdeslam was stopped at police roadblocks three times the day after the attacks as he escaped to Belgium, but was allowed to proceed as he was not yet on the suspect list.

The Paris attacks were claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Date created : 2015-12-24

  • FRANCE

    France seeks to strip dual nationals of citizenship in terror cases

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    Belgian police question, release five in Paris attacks probe

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Paris attacks suspect ‘got past three police checks’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)