Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Davos Debate: Getting a fair share from multinationals (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Davos Debate: Getting a fair share from multinationals (part 1)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Adama Barrow sworn in as President, Ecowas forces enter Gambia

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

DAVOS 2017: Trump 'could hit the ball out of the park'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

DAVOS 2017: May's Brexit plan 'not realistic'

Read more

THE DEBATE

Showdown in Gambia: Foreign troops at border as Jammeh refuses to go (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Showdown in Gambia: Senegalese troops enter Country as Jammeh refuses to go (part 2)

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Davos 2017: Global leaders try to understand populist surge

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

DAVOS 2017: What next for the global healthcare industry?

Read more

Sports

FIFA reduces Blatter, Platini bans from eight years to six

© Fabrice Coffrini AFP | Michel Platini is accused of ethics violations over a 2 million Swiss Franc payment.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2016-02-24

FIFA's appeal committee has upheld bans on longtime President Sepp Blatter and European soccer head Michel Platini for ethics violations but reduced them to six years from eight, it said on Wednesday.

"The FIFA Appeal Committee, chaired by Larry Mussenden (Bermuda), has partially confirmed the decisions taken by the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee on 17 and 18 December 2015 regarding Joseph S. Blatter and Michel Platini respectively, whose bans have been reduced from eight to six years," it said in a statement.

The committee said that the contribution of both men to soccer over the years should have been taken into account as a mitigating factor, but applied them only in reducing the length of the ban.

The only remaining route of appeal for Blatter, who is 80 next month, and Platini, 60, is with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne.

Blatter and Platini were banned over a payment of 2 million Swiss francs ($2.03 million) made to the Frenchman in 2011 by FIFA with Blatter's approval for work done a decade earlier.

Blatter and Platini claimed the payment honoured a verbal or gentleman's agreement made in 1998 for work carried out by the Frenchman when he was a technical advisor for Blatter.

The decision not to overturn the bans against the two highest-profile elected men in world soccer completes a shameful treble for the sport following the 12-year ban imposed on Jerome Valcke, who was sacked as FIFA's secretary general last month.

Valcke, the man responsible for running FIFA's day-to-day administration, was found guilty of misconduct over the sale of World Cup tickets, abuse of travel expenses, attempting to sell TV rights below their market value and destruction of evidence.

The election to choose Blatter's successor takes place on Friday.

(AFP)

Date created : 2016-01-09

  • SPORT

    French football legend Platini withdraws from FIFA presidency race

    Read more

  • FOOTBALL

    FIFA ban completes Platini’s remarkable fall from grace

    Read more

COMMENT(S)