Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Turkish troops to go further into Syria, says foreign minister

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Court ruling expected on Gabon's contested election results

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Clinton's Comedy Turn

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Sarkozy's Populist Pivot, Bahamas Leaks, Syria Truce, Rome Olympic Bid (Part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US Police Shootings: Race relations and the race to the White House (Part 1)

Read more

#TECH 24

Breaking the wall between technology and people

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Rural France: Challenges and opportunities

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: In Burma, ex-political prisoners struggle to return to normal life

Read more

ENCORE!

Xavier Dolan: Wunderkind of Québecquois cinema

Read more

france 24 Europe

Islamic State group video claims to show Paris attackers

Screengrab of Islamic State organisation propaganda video (archive photo)

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-01-25

The Islamic State (IS) group released a video Sunday purporting to show nine jihadists behind the November Paris attacks that killed 130 people, in which they threaten “coalition” countries including Britain.

The video was uploaded to the Islamic State group’s official Telegram channel and shows some of the attackers wearing camouflage fatigues in a desert location, before the time of the Paris attacks.

In it, the jihadists, speaking in French and in Arabic, say their “message is addressed to all the countries taking part in the (US-led) coalition” that has been fighting the IS group in Syria and Iraq since September 2014.

The video also shows a picture of British Prime Minister David Cameron accompanied by the words in English: “Whoever stands in the ranks of kufr (unbelievers) will be a target for our swords.”

The video, produced by the group's Al-Hayat Media Centre, describes the nine jihadists as “lions” who “brought France to its knees”.

The footage shows images of the coordinated Paris attacks as well as security operations by French special forces during the onslaught.

On the night of November 13, nine men, split into three groups, attacked the Stade de France stadium, a string of cafes in the northeast of Paris, and the Bataclan concert hall.

Hollande pledges to continue ‘fight against terrorism’

An arrest warrant has been issued for another man, Salah Abdeslam, who fled to Belgium the following day. The attackers are identified in the video by noms de guerre referring to their nationalities – three French, four Belgian and two Iraqis, referred to as Ali al-Iraqi and Ukashah al-Iraqi.

The two Iraqis -- who were identified for the first time in the IS group’s magazine, Dabiq last week -- could be the suicide bombers who tried to attack the Stade de France stadium. They carried Syrian passports assumed to be forged and could not be formally identified.

The video also depicts the nine jihadists carrying out atrocities, including beheading and shooting people described as hostages.

President Francois Hollande said the video would not deter France from its fight against terrorism.

"Nothing will deter us, no threat will make France waver in the fight against terrorism," the French president told reporters in New Delhi during an official visit to India.

Two suspects still at large

Among the men purportedly shown in the video is suspected ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud, identified by his nom de guerre Abu Umar al-Baljiki, or Abu Umar the Belgian.

Abaaoud, who was widely thought to have been in Syria fighting with IS forces in the past, was killed in a shootout with French police days after the bloodiest attacks to hit Europe since the Madrid train bombings in 2004.

He was one of two attackers killed in a police raid in a Parisian suburb shortly after the attacks. The other seven died during the attacks. The total number of those directly involved, however, is still unclear.

Four suspects believed to have aided the attacks remain at large, including Salah Abdeslam, who allegedly drove suicide bombers to the French national stadium outside Paris, as well as Mohamed Abrini, suspected of having helped scout out the attack sites. Both are from Molenbeek, a suburb in the Belgian capital.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS, AFP)
 

Date created : 2016-01-24

  • TERRORISM

    IS group says two Paris attackers were Iraqis

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Family of woman killed in Paris attacks raid file murder complaint

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    Belgium arrests two over suspected links to Paris attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)