Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo : thousands welcome opposition leader Tshisekedi after two-year absence

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'France 24' amongst French media to stop publishing jihadists' photos

Read more

THE DEBATE

Church attack aftermath - France's political fallout: who stands to benefit?

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Safety at any cost in Israel

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: ‘Genius’, ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ and ‘Endless Summer’

Read more

FOCUS

Europe struggles to crack down on weapons trafficking

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

France priest terror attack: Is Europe helpless?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Another drop in iPhone sales, so why are Apple shares rising?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Horror in the church: Priest 'assassinated by barbarians'

Read more

Middle East france 24

IS group claims deadly bombings in Homs, Damascus

© STR / AFP | A Syrian red crescent ambulance arrives to evacuate wounded injured in a blast in Damascus on February 21, 2016. | YOUSSEF KARWASHAN / AFP | Syrians gather at the site of a series of attacks south of Syria's capital Damascus on February 21, 2016.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-02-22

The Islamic State group on Sunday claimed responsibility for bomb attacks in Syria's central city of Homs and near a shrine outside Damascus that left at least 150 people dead.

Double car bombings killed at least 59 people and wounded dozens in the Al-Zahraa district of Homs on Sunday morning, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said.

Near Damascus, a car bombing followed by two consecutive suicide attacks ripped through the area of the Shiite shrine of Sayyida Zeinab and killed 96 people according to The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Syria's official news agency SANA, quoting a police source, said 178 people, including children, were among the wounded.

The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the carnage.

The Homs attack was the worst in the city since twin bombings hit a school in October 2014, killing at least 55 people including 49 children.

Al-Zahraa -- whose residents are mostly from the same Alawite sect as Syria's ruling clan -- has been regularly targeted by attacks, including last month when a double bombing claimed by the IS group killed 22 people.

State television footage from the scene showed emergency workers carrying a charred body on a stretcher past shops shorn of their fronts and mangled cars and minibuses.

The IS group claimed responsiblity for the attack, saying in an online statement that two its members had driven explosives-laden cars into crowds of residents.

The blasts outside Damascus saw a car bombing and two suicide attacks rip through the area of the Sayyida Zeinab shrine, state television reported.

The Observatory gave a slightly higher death toll and said there were four attacks.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the attacks but at the end of January the IS group claimed bombings that killed at least 70 people near the shrine, which contains the grave of a granddaughter of the Prophet Mohammed and is revered by Shiite Muslims.

'Provisional' ceasefire deal

World powers have been pushing for a halt in fighting in Syria that was meant to take effect by Friday, but have struggled to agree on how it should be implemented.

The latest bombings came as Kerry said he had spoken with Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov and agreed on how to implement a ceasefire.

"We have reached a provisional agreement, in principle, on the terms of the cessation of hostilities that could begin in the coming days," Kerry said in Amman.

"It is not yet done and I anticipate that our presidents, President (Barack) Obama and President (Vladimir) Putin, may well speak somewhere in the next days or so in order to try to complete this task," he added.

World powers proposed the truce just over a week ago as part of a plan that also included expanded humanitarian access, in a bid to pave the way for the resumption of peace talks.

The talks, which collapsed earlier this month in Geneva, were scheduled to resume on February 25, but the UN's envoy on Syria has already acknowledged that date is no longer realistic.

On Saturday, a key opposition umbrella group, the High Negotiations Committee (HNC), said it would agree a temporary truce only if regime backers halted fire.

HNC chief Riad Hijab said any ceasefire must be reached "with international mediation and with guarantees obliging Russia, Iran and their sectarian militias and mercenaries to stop fighting".

Assad meanwhile told Spain's El Pais newspaper that he was "ready" for a ceasefire, but said it should not be exploited by "terrorists".

Turkey defends shelling Kurds

Regime backer Moscow is a key architect of the proposed ceasefire, but has shown little sign so far that it plans to rein in the air campaign it began in September in support of Assad's government.

On Saturday, the Kremlin said it would continue "to provide assistance and help to the armed forces of Syria in their offensive actions against terrorists".

Regime forces backed by Russian strikes were advancing on Sunday east of Aleppo city against the IS group, consolidating their control over a stretch of highway from the city to the Kweyris military base.

The Observatory said at least 50 IS group fighters had been killed in clashes and Russian strikes in the advance since it began Saturday morning.

Tensions meanwhile have been rising between Russia and opposition-backer Turkey, which has been alarmed by both the regime's Russian-backed advances and a major operation by Kurdish-led forces in Aleppo province.

The Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and their Arab partners have in recent days seized key territory from rebel forces in Aleppo, prompting Turkish anger and shelling of their positions.

Ankara considers the YPG an affiliate of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, which has waged a decades-long insurgency against the Turkish state.

It fears the Kurdish advances are intended to link up areas in north and northeast Syria to create a contiguous semi-autonomous Kurdish zone along the Syrian-Turkish border.

On Sunday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan defended his country's fight against the YPG as "legitimate defence" after international calls for Ankara to halt its military action in Syria.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

 

Date created : 2016-02-21

  • SYRIA

    Kerry says 'closer than ever' to Syria ceasefire

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Deadly double bombings strike Syria’s Homs

    Read more

  • SYRIA

    Russia vows to keep up aid to Syrian government after failed UN bid

    Read more

COMMENT(S)