Production at French car giant Renault’s factory in the Marmara province of Bursa returned to normal on March 2, a day after workers went on strike to protest the laying off of their colleagues, a company official told Reuters.
“Production returned to normal as of 8 a.m.,” the official said.
Some 150 workers at Oyak Renault, a joint venture between Renault and the Turkish army pension fund Oyak, arrived at the factory on the morning on March 1 but did not start working. Other workers amassed in front of the factory and tried to close the road linking Bursa to Mudanya, a nearby district.
The production line had been halted on Feb. 28 after the administration’s decision to fire the workers.
Meanwhile, police officers intervened into the attempt to block the road and used tear gas to disperse the crowd. Nine workers were detained but released later in the day.
In addition, 12 more workers were laid off later in the day on March 1 on grounds of attending the protests to block the road, the company said in a statement.
Another 22 workers were also detained on March 2 on grounds of opposing the law of meeting and demonstration marches and resisting police officers as well as two others who allegedly incited workers through social media.
The last two years, a labor dispute in Bursa hit the factory of Oyak Renault and Tofaş, owned by Italy’s Fiat and Turkey’s Koç Holding in Bursa before spreading to other carmakers, including Ford’s Turkish unit, Ford Otosan, and several auto part makers.
That strike ended lasted more than a year from May 14, 2014 to May 27, 2015.
Date created : 2016-03-02