Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Weiner strikes again

Read more

THE DEBATE

Colombia's Path to Peace: Can historic deal with FARC rebels work? (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Colombia's Path to Peace: Can historic deal with FARC rebels work? (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

The rise of political tourism in the Middle East

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Video Music Awards, Rock en Seine and Puppa Lek Sen

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

The Gulf of Porto, a paradise of land and sea

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Quarterback takes a stand by sitting down

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

The hidden secrets of Les Invalides

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Anger over restaurant's decision to deny service to Muslim women

Read more

Middle East

UN says Saudi-led airstrikes behind civilian ‘carnage’ in Yemen

© Mohammed Huwais, AFP | Yemenis inspect the damage following an air strike by the Saudi-led coalition in the capital Sanaa, on February 27, 2016;

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2016-03-18

The United Nations on Friday decried the "carnage" caused by recent air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, saying the alliance was responsible for the vast majority of civilian deaths in the conflict.

"Looking at the figures, it would seem that the coalition is responsible for twice as many civilian casualties as all other forces put together, virtually all as a result of air strikes," UN human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement, expressing outrage at one of the deadliest air strikes on a market this week.

Since the Saudi-led coalition began its air campaign in Yemen a year ago, the UN rights office said it had tallied just under 9,000 civilian casualties in the conflict, including 3,218 killed.

It condemned "the repeated failure of the coalition forces to take effective actions to prevent the recurrence of such incidents, and to publish transparent, independent investigations into those that have already occurred."

Zeid decried that coalition air strikes "have hit markets, hospitals, clinics, schools, factories, wedding parties, and hundreds of private residences in villages, towns and cities."

"Despite plenty of international demarches, these awful incidents continue to occur with unacceptable regularity," he said, warning that "we are possibly looking at the commission of international crimes by members of the coalition."

Zeid voiced particular alarm at two air strikes on a market this week in northern Yemen's rebel-held Hajja province.

The United Nations on Thursday put the death toll from those strikes at 119, and Zeid's office said Friday 106 of those killed in the crowded market were civilians, including 24 children.

"The carnage caused by two air strikes on the Al Khamees market ... was one of the deadliest incidents since the start of the conflict a year ago," Zeid said.

Meanwhile, his staff on the ground "could find no evidence of any armed confrontation or significant military objects in the area at the time of the attack," besides a small checkpoint 250 metres away, the statement said.

That attack came just weeks after a similar incident, in which air strikes on February 27 on a market in a northeastern district of Sanaa killed at least 39 civilians, including nine children.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened on March 26 last year to support President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi after Huthi rebels seized large parts of Yemen including the capital Sanaa.

Zeid lamented the failure of the two sides to agree a peace deal, but welcomed a comment from a coalition spokesman to AFP this week indicating the alliance was nearing the end of major combat in Yemen.

"I urge both sides to swallow their pride and bring this conflict to a halt," Zeid said.

(AFP)

Date created : 2016-03-18

  • YEMEN

    Dozens killed after Arab coalition air strikes hit Yemen market

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    MSF condemns latest deadly strike on clinic in Yemen

    Read more

  • IRAN - SAUDI ARABIA

    Iran accuses Saudi Arabia of bombing its embassy in Yemen

    Read more

COMMENT(S)