Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

From Turkey to Iran: (re)inventing kebab

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Paleontologist Kenneth Lacovara: ‘Dinosaurs were the last great champions’

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Alan Turing's nephew: ‘A Shakespearean tragedy surrounded his life’

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwe: Chamisa's lawyers contest election results in court

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

New US sanctions on Iran: Trump ups pressure after exiting nuclear deal

Read more

IN THE PRESS

‘Space Farce’? Alternative logos for new US military branch flood social media

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zambia accused of illegal handover of Zimbabwean opposition figure

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MyCameraIsMyWeapon campaign takes on Iran's mandatory hijab law

Read more

THE DEBATE

Headed for war? Israel-Gaza conflict flares despite truce talks

Read more

France

France's Benzema barred from Euro 2016 over sex tape scandal

© Pierre-Philippe Marcou, AFP | Karim Benzema training in Madrid on April 11, 2016

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2016-04-13

France striker Karim Benzema will miss this year's European soccer championship after his ban for his involvement in an alleged blackmail scandal was upheld by the French federation (FFF) on Wednesday.

Benzema was suspended indefinitely last December after being put under formal investigation by a judge for alleged blackmail over a sex video involving France team mate Mathieu Valbuena.

"The ability of the players to work together in unity, in and around the group, exemplary behaviour, and the preservation of the group are also taken into account by the all the Federation's selectors," the FFF said in a statement.

"As a result, (President) Noel Le Graet and (manager) Didier Deschamps decided that Karim Benzema will not take part in Euro 2016."

Real Madrid forward Benzema responded to the decision on Twitter.

"Unfortunately for me and all those who have always supported and put up with me I will not be selected for the Euros in France," the 28-year-old said.

Last month, the Versailles court of appeal confirmed an easing of restrictions on the movements of Benzema, who was previously barred from contacting Valbuena and others involved in the investigation.

Benzema, who is suspected of trying to blackmail fellow international Valbuena over the sex tape, denies any wrongdoing.

According to French media, Benzema mentioned the tape to Lyon forward Valbuena during a national team training session at Clairefontaine in October, 2015.

Benzema told police he was advising a friend about what to do in a difficult situation.

The Euro 2016 finals start on June with hosts France taking on Romania at the Stade de France. The tournament ends on July 10.

Without Benzema, France scored seven goals in their last two games in a 3-2 away win against the Netherlands and a 4-2 victory at home against Russia last month.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2016-04-13

  • SPORT

    Sex, drugs and bribes: 2015 in sport

    Read more

  • FOOTBALL

    Court rules France’s Benzema can play at Euro 2016 despite sex-tape probe

    Read more

  • Sports

    Benzema heard as witness in Paris money-laundering case

    Read more

COMMENT(S)