Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Somalia twin bombings kill 18 in Mogadishu

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Arming the "good guys"?

Read more

THE DEBATE

Gun Control in the United States: Will the Florida shooting be the turning point?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Giving a voice to the homeless in France

Read more

REPORTERS

'Never Again': The students pushing for US gun control

Read more

#TECH 24

A bright future for solar power

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Winter in France's Burgundy vineyards

Read more

FOCUS

How French cyber police are patrolling the 'Dark Web'

Read more

ENCORE!

Marseille mon amour: Mediterranean city celebrates love

Read more

Africa

Top DR Congo court says Kabila can remain president if elections delayed

© Lintao Zhang, AFP | DR Congo President Joseph Kabila during a visit to China on September 4, 2015

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2016-05-12

Congo's constitutional court said Wednesday the president can stay in office beyond his mandate if there is a delay in presidential elections, slated for November.

President Joseph Kabila, who has been in power since 2001 and is meant to leave office in December, is barred by the constitution from seeking a third term.

The opposition has voiced concerns for some time that Kabila would delay elections to stay in power.

"Following the principle of continuity for the state and to avoid a lack of head of state, the current president remains in office until the installation of a newly-elected president," said the Constitutional Court statement read by its head, Benoit Luamba Bintu. The court was responding to a request to clarify the matter.

The electoral commission has warned it would be difficult to hold the election within the constitutional timeline.

The commission's head, Corneille Nangaa, had called for a political agreement to allow for the body to organize the election beyond November 2016.

Mass protests erupted last year against proposed changes to the electoral law, widely seen as a ploy to prolong Kabila's rule.

A security crackdown killed more than 40 people at demonstrations, Human Rights Watch said. The revision was scrapped.

Congo has not had a peaceful transfer of power in its 55 years of independence.

In recent months, the United Nations has denounced what it calls arbitrary arrests of opponents and activists and the U.S. has expressed concern about legal action against pro-democracy activists.

The U.S. has in the past called for adherence to the constitutional electoral timeline.

(AP)

Date created : 2016-05-12

  • DR Congo

    Congo opposition leader accused of hiring mercenaries

    Read more

  • MUSIC - OBITUARY

    Congolese rumba legend Papa Wemba dies after collapsing on stage

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Former DR Congo leader Bemba found guilty of war crimes by ICC

    Read more

COMMENT(S)