Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Trump and Macron media moments

Read more

ENCORE!

Photographer Clare Strand explores the causes and consequences of communication breakdown

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Fashion and ethics: Five years after Bangladesh factory collapse, what's changed?

Read more

FOCUS

Israel’s migrant crisis: Clear government signals, but unclear decisions

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Plastic waste: ‘We can only tackle the problem if we work together’

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Louis XIV's message for the British royal baby

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwean nurses call off strike and return to work

Read more

THE DEBATE

Macron meets Trump: A state visit with discord on the horizon?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Macron hopes for breakthrough on trade tensions during US visit

Read more

france 24 France

Frenchman arrested in Ukraine 'planned attacks ahead of Euro 2016'

© Ukraine's SBU Security Service/AFP | A Frenchman arrested on the Ukrainian-Polish border was believed to be planning attacks in France

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-06-06

The head of Ukraine's State Security Service (SBU) said Monday that a French citizen detained in late May on the Ukrainian-Polish border had planned a string of attacks to coincide with the Euro 2016 championship in France.

SBU chief Vasily Gritsak said the unnamed man had made contact with illegal armed groups in Ukraine with the aim of buying weapons and explosives.

"The Frenchman spoke negatively about his government's actions, mass immigration, the spread of Islam and globalisation, and also talked about plans to carry out several terrorist attacks," Gritsak said at a briefing.

Ukrainian authorities said the man had 125 kilos of TNT in his posession at the time of his arrest and was planning attacks on Muslim and Jewish places of worship as well as on bridges, railways and other infrastructure ahead of the Friday start of the Euro 2016 championships in France.

The SBU didn't identify the man but said he was driven by ultra-nationalist views.
Authorities released photos of a fair-haired man with his face blurred, holding various weapons.

The suspect had been followed since December. The SBU said it allowed him to purchase five machine guns, two rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons before arresting him last month.

France is deploying 90,000 security forces for the tournament, and French President François Hollande said Sunday night that the threat of attacks won't stop it from being a successful championship.

(FRANCE 24 with AP, AFP and REUTERS)

Date created : 2016-06-06

  • FRANCE

    Hollande says labour reform strikes must not disrupt Euro 2016

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Eiffel Tower fan zone should be closed for Euro 2016 over security fears, says police chief

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    France to deploy 60,000 police officers for Euro 2016

    Read more

COMMENT(S)