Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

HRW chief: 'Trump has been a disaster for human rights'

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Making music with rubbish, and dangerous roads in Guinea

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Fears rise over economic impact of US government shutdown

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Kim Jong-un's rumoured ex-lover pop star makes rare visit to South before Games

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Choose France', Macron tells 140 foreign business leaders ahead of summit

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

FRANCE 24 meets Liberia's George Weah ahead of his inauguration

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gymnast's fierce courtroom address

Read more

THE DEBATE

A whole new world: Trump anniversary special

Read more

#TECH 24

Will artificial intelligence ever surpass the human brain?

Read more

Africa

Deadly fighting breaks out in Central African Republic’s capital

© PACOME PABANDJI, AFP | A member of the Seleka rebel group poses with his weapons on May 15, 2015 near Bambari

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2016-06-20

Two people died of gunshot wounds in fighting in the capital of Central African Republic on Monday as the sound of fire from machine guns and heavier weapons resounded across Bangui, witnesses and medical authorities said.

Heavily armed members of the former rebel group Seleka took six police officers hostage in Bangui on Sunday, Jean Serge Bokassa, the minister of territorial administration and public security, told Reuters.

It was not clear if the shooting and kidnapping were linked.

The gunfire died down as night fell, witnesses said.

“We demand the liberation of the officers who were taken hostage ... The government will do everything possible to free them,” Bokassa said.

Insecurity has persisted in the months since President Faustin-Archange Touadéra was sworn in in March, after winning an election intended to draw a line under inter-communal and inter-religious violence that involved the mainly Muslim Seleka and began in 2013.

Medical aid charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) will suspend non-essential activity for three days, starting on Wednesday, to protest the killing of one of its drivers in an ambush, its country director said on Monday.

It is the group’s second suspension of operations in the country in a little over a month after acts of violence.

Unidentified gunmen shot an MSF driver on Friday on the road between the towns of Sibut and Grimari northeast of Bangui. Last month, one of its drivers died in a similar incident.

“This (ambush) shows that humanitarian work is becoming more precarious in Central African Republic,” head of mission Emmanuel Lampaert told a news conference in Bangui. “MSF wants its cry for help to be heard.”

After the attack in May, MSF said it was forced to suspend activities until it could guarantee the safety of its staff. It resumed operations a day later.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2016-06-20

  • FRANCE - CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

    France disciplines five soldiers accused of abuse in Central African Republic

    Read more

  • DR CONGO – CAR

    UN peacekeepers go on trial over CAR sex abuse charges

    Read more

  • CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

    France to end Central African Republic military mission in 2016

    Read more

COMMENT(S)