At least 84 people have been killed after a lorry ploughed into a crowd attending Bastille Day celebrations in the French city of Nice on Thursday night, in what is being investigated as a terror attack.
Here are the main developments so far:
- At around 11pm local time a lorry ploughed into a crowd of people in the southern French city of Nice towards the end of a fireworks display to celebrate the Bastille Day holiday.
- The lorry drove at a high speed for a distance of around 2km through the crowd, according to witnesses and officials.
- The driver of the lorry was shot dead by police.
- The death toll rose to at least 84 people, including children, with around 20 more critically injured, the interior ministry said Friday.
- French President François Hollande said the attack was “clearly of a terrorist nature”. It is being investigated by France’s anti-terror unit.
- Hollande said a state of emergency implemented after the November terror attacks in Paris and due to end on July 26 will be extended by another three months.
Follow the latest develoments with FRANCE 24's live blog below.
Date created : 2016-07-14