Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Zimbabwe's end of an era

Read more

FOCUS

Video: An uncertain fate for US's transgender soldiers

Read more

THE DEBATE

Enslaved in Libya:

Read more

ENCORE!

Seal on his new album 'Standards' and why he doesn't like texting

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'The End of German Stability'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Bad news for Merkel is bad news for Europe'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwean MPs set to start impeachment proceedings against Mugabe

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US government sues to block AT&T-Time Warner merger

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Manson: Murder, mythology and mistaken identity

Read more

france 24 France

Priest's murder a 'desecration of French democracy', says Hollande

© Mehdi Fedouach, AFP | People attend a mass in Bordeaux in memory of a priest killed in the Normandy town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray on July 26, 2016

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-07-26

French President François Hollande described the killing of Father Jacques Hamel by two men swearing allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group as a “desecration of French democracy”, in an address to the nation on Tuesday evening.

Two attackers killed Hamel and seriously wounded at least one other hostage in a church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, near Rouen early Tuesday before they were shot dead by police.

The two assailants entered the church during Mass, taking the 86-year-old priest and four other people hostage, including two nuns. Police said the men killed the priest by slitting his throat.

An interior ministry spokesperson said a second hostage was "between life and death".

Pierre-Henry Brandet, the spokesperson for the interior ministry, said the identities of the attackers remained unclear, but that anti-terrorism prosecutors would lead the investigation.

He told reporters at the scene that the two assailants had been killed by the BRI, a specialised police group, as they came out of the church building.

Brandet said bomb squad officers aided by sniffer dogs had been scouring the church for any possible explosives.

IS group claims attack

The IS group claimed responsibility for the deadly assault in a statement via their Amaq news agency, saying two of their “soldiers” had responded “to the call to target” Western countries.

Police sources told French media that one of the two perpetrators was on one of France’s terror-watch lists, known as the “fiche S”. The man had been put under house arrest after attempting to reach Syria last year, the sources told AFP and iTele.

French police have arrested one person in connection with the attack, a source close to the inquiry said. 

Hollande slams 'vile terrorist attack'

‘We will stand together’

In an address to the nation on Tuesday evening, Hollande renewed his call for the people of France to stand together in the fight against terrorism. He added that the government was determined to confront the jihadist threat, and would deploy all the material and human resources necessary.

However, Hollande cautioned against restricting civil liberties, saying that waiving constitutional freedoms would weaken the unity of the nation.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls also expressed "horror at the barbaric attack on a church".

"The whole of France and all Catholics are wounded. We will stand together," he wrote on Twitter.

The archbishop of Rouen, Dominique Lebrun, said in a statement: "I cry out to God with all men of goodwill. I invite non-believers to join in the cry. (...) The Catholic Church has no other arms besides prayer and brotherhood among men."

At the Vatican, the pope's office condemned the "barbarous killing" of the priest, saying the crime was even more heinous because it took place in a sacred place.

The incident comes as France is under high alert after an attack in Nice that killed 84 people and a string of deadly attacks last year claimed by the IS group.

The Nice attack was the third major strike on France in 18 months. Two attacks in Germany claimed by the IS group since then have also increased jitters in Europe.

After the attack in Nice, France extended a state of emergency, giving police extra powers to carry out searches and place people under house arrest for another six months.

It was the fourth time the security measures have been extended since the IS group jihadists struck Paris in November, killing 130 people at restaurants, the Bataclan concert hall and the national stadium.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP, AP and REUTERS)

Date created : 2016-07-26

  • FRANCE

    Two more arrested in Nice in connection with Bastille Day attack

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    France orders Nice policing inquiry after Bastille Day attack

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French state faces lawsuits over failure to thwart terrorist attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)