Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Louis XIV's message for the royal baby

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Macron hopes for breakthrough on trade tensions during US visit

Read more

THE DEBATE

Macron meets Trump: A state visit with discord on the horizon?

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Mahalia, Ariana Grande & Willie Nelson

Read more

FOCUS

Tramadol: Cameroon’s low-budget opioid crisis

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU citizens’ consultations: Macron’s efforts to renew Europe

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Strengthening ties Down Under: The man charged with promoting Australia in France

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Jagland: ‘Would be disastrous if Russia pulls out of Council of Europe’

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Much ado about nothing? Actress Natalie Portman's boycott of 'Jewish Nobel awards' sparks backlash

Read more

france 24 France

Two more arrested in Nice in connection with Bastille Day attack

© Valery Hache, AFP | French policewoman Sandra Bertin at a press conference in Nice on July 21, 2016

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-07-26

French police arrested two men in connection with the Bastille Day massacre in Nice which left 84 people dead, a source close to the investigation said Tuesday, bringing to seven the number of people detained since the July 14 attack.

"They were placed in custody while investigators seek to determine if the Tunisian (attacker) Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel had logistical support," the source told AFP.

A second source said the two arrested were men and that their pictures had been found on Bouhlel's mobile telephone.

Prosecutors believe Bouhlel had long plotted the attack in which he ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd which had been enjoying a fireworks display on Nice's seafront Promenade des Anglais, injuring more than 300 people.

Four men and a woman have already been charged with being accomplices to murder by a terrorist group. None of them had been known to intelligence services.

Prosecutor François Molins said that correspondence between the suspects and Bouhlel – shot dead by police during the attack – indicated they had been in on the plot.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.

The militant group called Bouhlel one of its soldiers, but authorities say they have yet to find evidence that the 31-year-old had any actual links to the militant group.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

 

Date created : 2016-07-26

  • France

    Brother of IS group recruit wants heroes of Nice attacks to be rewarded

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French state faces lawsuits over failure to thwart terrorist attacks

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    What we know about the five suspects held in connection with Nice attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)