Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Japan rejects 99% of asylum applications

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'Sextape', 'How to Talk to Girls at Parties', 'Looking for Teddy'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Transatlantic defence 'strengthened', says NATO chief

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

World Refugee Day: The story of a French mother who took in an Afghan refugee

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Khaled Diab: Debunking myths about Islam

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Australian female comedian's murder sparks soul-searching about women's safety

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Washington DC votes to raise minimum wage for waiting staff

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

At least 18 killed in Abidjan floods from heavy rains

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's anti-Merkel Twitter tirade

Read more

Africa

ICC convicts DR Congo's Bemba of bribing witnesses

© Michael Kooren, AFP | Jean-Pierre Bemba, 53, is the first man to have been convicted by the ICC for crimes of sexual violence in war.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-10-19

Judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Wednesday concluded that former Congolese vice-president Jean-Pierre Bemba coached defence witnesses and paid bribes to influence the outcome of his trial.

Judges at the ICC said 14 key witnesses had been coached about what to say and that Bemba and four other defendants had conspired to present false evidence to the court.

Bemba, 53, in March became the first person to be convicted by the global war crimes court of crimes of sexual violence in war, as well as the first to be held directly responsible for his subordinates' crimes.

The former rebel leader was found guilty on March 21 on five charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by his private army, the Congolese Liberation Movement (MLC).

Bemba sent the MLC into the neighbouring Central African Republic from October 2002 to March 2003 to put down a coup against then-president Ange-Felix Patasse.

In their March verdict, judges found Bemba turned a blind eye to a reign of terror by some 1,500 of his troops.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS, AFP)
 

Date created : 2016-10-19

  • EYE ON AFRICA

    ICC sentences DR Congo's Bemba to 18 years in jail for war crimes

    Read more

COMMENT(S)