Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: UK to leave EU common market (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: The blowback against globalisationt (part 2)

Read more

ENCORE!

Art on the wire and online: Jean-Hubert Martin on curating in cyberspace

Read more

FOCUS

Inside China's answer to Silicon Valley

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Behind the scenes at China's Harbin snow festival

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Donald Trump is a great friend of Israel'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2017: World Economic Forum wary of post-Brexit future

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Great Brexpectations'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Trump's anti-European 'attack'

Read more

REPORTERS

An in-depth report by our senior reporters and team of correspondents from around the world. Every Saturday at 9.10 pm Paris time. And you can watch it online as early as Friday.

Latest update : 2016-11-19

Tracking a Church paedophilia case from Dakar to Quebec

Following a series of paedophilia scandals in the Catholic Church in recent years, FRANCE 24 reporters investigated the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, a Catholic religious community that has been sending missionaries to Africa for nearly a century. In Senegal we met with an alleged victim of abuse before tracking down the accused in Quebec.

Warning: Some of the language in this video report may be unsuitable for minors.

FRANCE 24 reporters contacted Souleymane in April through La Parole Libérée, a French association that helps victims of paedophilia. A Senegalese man now around 40 years of age, Souleymane told us his story but would not appear on camera.

He recounted his childhood in Kaolack, a large city southeast of the capital Dakar, and his education at the Pius XII college, run by the Canadian branch of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart.

Souleymane was 12 when one of the missionaries, a French teacher, first invited him after class to attend a private "sex education" lesson. Souleymane says he was abused for three years afterwards but did not dare tell anyone.

Hidden camera

In 2010 Souleymane says he contacted another member of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart who was teaching at the Pius XII college at the time and who still taught at a high school in Dakar. Souleymane affirms that he told him his painful story and learned that the man he accuses is apparently close to death and now living in Canada.

Moreover, he was told that church authorities had been alerted to this man's actions. Yet Souleymane tells us angrily that he was never approached by the church himself. He told us the name of his alleged abuser and his probable place of residence in the Canadian province of Quebec.

FRANCE 24 continued its investigation in Canada. We located a residence for retired members of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in the city of Sherbrooke, 150km east of Montreal. If he is still alive, the man Souleymane accuses may well be there.

Much to our surprise, the man is easily found. He is now 92 and in a wheelchair, but in full possession of his faculties. Using a hidden camera, we met and spoke with him.

He tells us that, as far as he knows, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart have not conducted any investigations into sexual abuse. But Souleymane assures us that the community has been informed of the allegations against some of its members.

Scandal in Quebec

We decide to continue the investigation back in Dakar, to meet the man whom Souleymane says he alerted back in 2010. Captured on our hidden camera, the man confirms that his superiors were well aware of the accusations.

In mid-September we decide to contact the provincial superior of the Brothers' community in Canada. He does not seem surprised by the accusations, but neither is he keen to answer our questions. After several exchanges, the response is clear: "Under the circumstances, the community of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in Canada does not intend to follow up on your request [for information]."

Since then, the community in Quebec has been hit by another scandal. According to a class action lawsuit filed in the Canadian courts, 11 of their members are accused of abusing dozens of students in a Quebec school between 1940 and 1980. A wider investigation is just beginning.

FRANCE 24 is continuing its inquiry in partnership with La Presse newspaper in Montréal and the Dakaractu website in Senegal. If you or someone you know can contribute their story it could aid our investigation. Please feel free to email us at reporters@france24.com.

By Sarah SAKHO , Frédéric GUIRO

COMMENT(S)

Archives

2017-01-13 USA

Video: Meeting Trump voters in Wisconsin

On January 20, Donald Trump will be sworn in as 45th president of the United States. With his promise of radical change in American politics, he won several states that until...

Read more

2017-01-05 Africa

Dadaab: Growing up in the world’s largest refugee camp

Located in eastern Kenya, near the Somali border, is Dadaab. This sprawling refugee camp is home to some 280,000 people, most of them from Somalia. Over the past 25 years, a...

Read more

2016-12-26 Middle East

Exclusive: Embedded with Iraqi special forces in Mosul

For more than two months, Iraqi forces have fought to retake Mosul from Islamic State group militants. A quarter of the city has been recaptured but the jihadists are still...

Read more

2016-12-23 migrants

Ferrette: The French village giving hope to migrants

It’s been almost a year since Ferrette, a tiny village in France’s Alsace region, transformed one of its old army barracks into a reception centre for refugees seeking asylum....

Read more

2016-12-15 Asia-pacific

Video: The Philippines’ ruthless war on drugs

Since Rodrigo Duterte took office in the Philippines in June, rarely does a night go by without dozens of bullet-riddled bodies being discovered in the streets of Manila. The new...

Read more