Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Multilateralist Macron is the anti-Trump at UN General Assembly

Read more

FOCUS

Rio mired in economic crisis a year after hosting Olympics

Read more

ENCORE!

Elizabeth Strout: 'There’s something emotionally truthful about my characters'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Polish foreign minister: Macron's comments on Poland 'were not necessary'

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

The controversial colonial statue in Senegal; and the centuries-old town in Turkey being destroyed by the govt

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

End of an era: Toys 'R' Us files for bankruptcy

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'We aren't ready' for a second vote in Kenya and flip-flopping on climate change

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Another Hurricane? It's Maria's turn. And, when's your printer going to stop working?

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo: New report says army worked with militias to massacre hundreds in Beni

Read more

France

Louvre attack suspect now talking to investigators

© AFP archive | Tourists walk by a police vehicle parked in front of the Louvre Pyramid in Paris on February 4, 2017

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2017-02-07

The Egyptian suspect in the attack on soldiers outside the Louvre museum in Paris has begun speaking to investigators and confirmed his identity, a source in the inquiry said Tuesday.

The man, who was shot after wielding two machetes and lunging at a group of soldiers while shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is Greatest) on Friday, has recovered sufficiently to confirm he is Abdallah El-Hamahmy, 29.

He "gave his version of the facts", the source said, without giving more details.

It is believed the suspect lives in the United Arab Emirates and entered France on January 26 on a flight from Dubai.

He was staying in a rented apartment near the Champs-Elysees avenue that was booked online in June, four months before he made a visa application.

Speaking to AFP in Cairo on Saturday, retired senior police officer Reda El-Hamahmy said he believed the suspect was his son and that he had been in Paris on a business trip.

But he said there were no signs his son had been radicalised.

"He went on a company trip and when it was over visited the museum. He was supposed to leave on Saturday," he told AFP.

He said Abdallah's pregnant wife was currently staying in Saudi Arabia with their seven-month-old son.

French authorities are also examining Hamahmy's Twitter account after around a dozen messages were posted in Arabic minutes before the attack.

"In the name of Allah... for our brothers in Syria and fighters across the world," he wrote, before referring to the Islamic State jihadist group in another tweet a minute later.

The attack near the Louvre, one of the world's most visited museums, has revived fears that France remains a target for jihadists after a string of bloody attacks that have killed more than 230 people since 2015.

The threat is one of the major issues in the campaign for this year's presidential and parliamentary elections.

(AFP)

Date created : 2017-02-07

  • FRANCE

    French police question Louvre attack suspect

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Paris’s Louvre Museum re-opens as attack probe continues

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Louvre attack: suspect believed to be 29 year old Egyptian

    Read more

COMMENT(S)